He served his county during World War II in the Army. He was a prisoner of war for 21 days and was awarded a Purple Heart. After the Army, he worked as a deck hand for the Memphis Riverboat Barge Company and for several years at Day-Brite in Tupelo. He was a member of the Pontotoc American Legion Post 16, the V.F.W., D.A.V., and he was a Gideon. He farmed and raised cattle for over 30 years. After retiring he gardened, specializing in watermelons. He enjoyed riding four-wheelers, working, hunting, fishing, playing dominos, Rook and playing with his dog.
Services will be at 3 p.m. Friday, April 25, at Longview Baptist Church with the Rev. Mike Burzynski, the Rev. George Steward, the Rev. Jimmy Russell and the Rev. Clyde Pound officiating. Burial will follow in Longview Cemetery with military honors. Browning Funeral Home in Pontotoc is in charge of the arrangements.
Survivors include his wife of 60 years, Annie Russell Dyer of Longview; his two daughters, Becky Terry of Tupelo and Lisa Dyer of Atlanta, Ga.; three sons, Mitchell Dyer (Vickie) of Longview, Michael Dyer (Debbie) of Longview and Russell Dyer (Tracy) of Randolph; seven grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his parents, Leonard Dyer and Willie Mae Biffle Dyer; three sisters; and four brothers.
Pallbearers will be Mitchell Dyer, Michael Dyer, Russell Dyer, Jason Dyer, Isaac Dyer and Chuck Pound.
Visitation will be Thursday from 5 to 8 p.m. and Friday from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. at the funeral home and at Longview Baptist Church on Friday from 2 to 3 p.m.
Condolences may be offered at www.browningpontotoc.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- ICC concert choir performs Monday October 16, 2016
- Fall Fun and Games Day is Friday October 20, 2016
- Number 8! October 20, 2016
- Houlka reviews preliminary test scores October 21, 2016
- Pilot Club to host pageant October 21, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: The killing of public education October 23, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Lawmakers “examine” MAEP funding October 23, 2016
- BIRTH: Kinsely Brooke Dodd October 23, 2016
- WEDDING: Nichols/Moss October 23, 2016
- Houlka hosts senior assembly October 22, 2016
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago