EDITORIAL: Time to plant
We’ve had our cold weather, the Sun shines a little longer and stronger and the green is beginning to show. Even city folk can look around and see it is Spring and that means it is the time to plant.
The same holds true for economic development.
We’ve had our share of a cold job market, the warmth of a reviving industrial base is shining a little longer and the “green” of local payrolls and a growing economy are beginning to show.
We were pleased to hear Pontotoc-Union-Chickasaw County Regional Developer Josh West tell those gathered at the Chickasaw Development Foundation annual banquet the industrial mega-site in eastern Chickasaw County is being promoted at a major industrial park around the world. We were also pleased to hear him say Houston is poised to see some good things happen.
But farmers will tell you planting is hard work. There is soil to be tilled, seed to be set and weeds to be fought.
Again, economic development is no different.
Houston needs to get busy preparing property for their next factory. We need to develop partnerships with every town along Highway 15 and Highway 8 and demand funds from Jackson and Washington to help us prepare our community for new businesses and industry.
Our town and county need to regularly sit with existing industry executives and cultivate those relationships so those companies gladly call on city and county government for help.
And we all need to look for those “weeds” and the greed that can kill any industrial development project.
Houston, Okolona and Houlka have good people who know how to form partnerships, provide community support, plan, prepare and promote.
It’s time to plant!
We will all benefit when the harvest time comes.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Solar Team trekking north in Solar Challenge 2016 July 21, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Dr. Darrick Whitfield: Don’t be a slacker! July 27, 2016
- Sundancer finishes first, again July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago