National Day of Prayer is today
The Greater Houston Ministerial Alliance will host the National Day of Prayer on The Square at noon Thursday and is inviting the community to come and pray for their town, state and nation.
“We will start just a few minutes after noon and will finish up a before 1 p.m.” said Dr. Randy Rinehart, President of the Ministerial Alliance and Pastor of Parkway Baptist Church. “The Bible says ‘the effectual prayer of a righteous man availeth much,’ and the world needs prayer. We’re going to do that Thursday.”
Rinehart said the ceremony will be held on the east side of the courthouse.
Pastors from around the community have been asked to lead prayers for various social concerns, elected officials, families and the church.
“We’ll give out a brief order of service, read a few scriptures and then pray,” said Rinehart. “We are urging people to come by on their lunch hour we will make sure they have plenty of time to get back to work.”
New this year is an 11 p.m. national ceremony. For Thursday’s observances, Anne Graham Lotz, the 2014 Honorary Chairman, has written a special prayer to be simultaneously read throughout the nation at noon (EDT).
The National Day of Prayer is held the first Thursday in May each year.
The National Day of Prayer tradition predates the founding of the United States of
America, as recorded in a Continental Congress’ proclamation in 1775 setting aside a
day of prayer. In 1952, Congress established an annual day of prayer and, in 1988, that
law was amended, designating the National Day of Prayer as the first Thursday in May.
This is the 63rd annual National Day of Prayer. It is being billed as an unprecedented opportunity to see the Lord’s healing and renewing power made manifest as we call on citizens to humbly come before His throne.
The theme for 2014 is One Voice, United in Prayer, emphasizing the need for individuals, corporately and individually, to place their faith in the unfailing character of their Creator, who is sovereign over all governments, authorities, and men. To further highlight our theme, the National Day of Prayer has chosen Romans 15:6 as their Scripture for this year: “So that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
To learn more, or to find a National Day of Prayer event in your community, visit www.NationalDayofPrayer.org.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Houston FFA March 16, 2017
- Jobless rate up in January March 20, 2017
- Local artist on display at ICC March 20, 2017
- HHS Student of the Month March 20, 2017
- CATHY SPENCER: Teacher of the Week March 21, 2017
- Fishing forecast for area reservoirs looks good March 23, 2017
- Chandler to head industrial development March 23, 2017
- EDITORIAL Severe Weather Awareness Week March 23, 2017
- NMMC offers weight loss for state employees March 22, 2017
- Two arrested, charged in Clay County murders March 22, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago