NETTLETON – Herman Shumpert, 95, died on Thursday, May 1, 2014, at North Mississippi Medical Center Hospice. He was born June 15, 1918, to Eck and Georgia William Shumpert.
He accepted Christ at an early age and joined Palestine United Methodist Church and served there until he moved to Chicago. There he joined Rust Memorial United Methodist Church, serving in many capacities. In 1978, he returned to Mississippi and reunited with his home church. He served as trustee, chairman of the board, Pastor Parish Committee and many more.
In the early 1940s, he met the love of his life, Pauletta Broyles, in Okolona. They married on April 11,1942. He received his formal education at Palestine School. In 1942 he was drafted into the Army and served his country in the World War II. He was employed at Western Electric (AT&T) for 33 years.
He is survived by his wife, Pauletta Shumpert; two sons, Ronald (Linda) Shumpert and Michael Shumpert, both of Chicago; two sisters, Itha Colliers of Mount Clemens, Mich., and Letha Little of Fulterton, Calif.; two granddaughters, Shanon Shumpert and Shea (Pharoah) Turner, and one grandson, Sean Shumpert, all of Chicago; great-grandchildren, Moriah Shumpert, Jordan Tate and Sean Shumpert II; a loving and devoted niece, Lera Jones; a dear friend, Rosalyn Shumpert-Boone; and a host of nieces, nephews, cousins and friends.
Services will be at noon Thursday, May 8, at St. Paul United Methodist Church Christian Life Center. Burial will be in Patterson Memorial Cemetery. N.L. Jones Funeral Directors of Tupelo is in charge of arrangements.
The body will lie in repose at the church one hour prior to service time.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Houlka reviews preliminary test scores October 21, 2016
- MSU names Summer 2016 graduates October 25, 2016
- Collision kills two near Vardaman October 25, 2016
- AP POLL: Mississippi High School Football Rankings, Oct. 25 October 25, 2016
- Toppers ready for Noxubee October 25, 2016
- Houlka aldermen hold budget hearing October 27, 2016
- County formally amends 2016 budget October 27, 2016
- Louisville edges Toppers October 27, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Red Ribbon Week October 26, 2016
- Art in the Park is Thursday October 26, 2016
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago