Walker medals at State
Brandon Walker hit the links this season for Vardaman and didn’t stop until he had a medal around his neck from the State meet.
Walker competed individually in the Class 1A Tournament at Clear Creek in Bovina May 1 and shot 156 to tie for third place with Jason Byrd of Salem High School. Hunter Hammett of Sacred Heart placed first, followed by Channing Curtis of St. Aloysius.
Although Walker, a 16-year-old sophomore at Vardaman High School, placed well enough to bring home a medal, he was not totally satisfied.
“I wanted to win it,” Walker said.
And with that in mind, he’s sure to be out on the links working toward next spring’s meets.
“I’ll be working on my short game, chipping and putting,” Walker said.
Although this was Walker’s first trip to State as a medalist, it wasn’t his first time to participate.
“I went in my eighth grade year with Calhoun City,” Walker said. “I think we placed fourth or fifth. It wasn’t too bad considering there was nobody on the team over ninth grade.”
After transferring to Vardaman in the ninth grade, Walker took the medalist route as the school does not field a full golf team. But he’s been on the links most of his life.
“I’ve been playing since I was about three, pretty much since I could walk,” Walker said. “My dad and brother introduced me to it.”
Walker plays regularly at Pine Hills in Calhoun City and encourages others who are interested to give golf a shot.
“Stay with it and you’ll get addicted within a month or two,” Walker said.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- EDITORIAL: Poor graduation rates August 18, 2016
- HUES names Students of the Week August 21, 2016
- Houston hammering out employee handbook August 22, 2016
- Houlka aldermen briefed on annexation August 22, 2016
- West Nile case reported in Chickasaw County August 22, 2016
- Man arrested on drug charges August 24, 2016
- Associate Degrees awarded at ICC for Spring 2016 August 24, 2016
- Lady Hilltoppers down East Webster, 2-1 August 24, 2016
- Houlka buys body cams for PD August 24, 2016
- Okolona man in custody after high speed chase August 23, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago