Wolverines go all the way
The East Webster Wolverines weren’t satisfied to just be good or have a successful season. They wanted to go all the way to State – and they did in a big way.
As a team, the Wolverines won district and marched through playoffs, defeating Madison St. Joe and Union to play for the State Championship against Clarksdale.
The Wolverines didn’t slow their pace in the championship round, sweeping Clarksdale 7-0 to take top honors in 2A tennis.
Staying at State
Individually, every team member advanced to State in their respective competitions including boy’s singles, girl’s singles, boy’s doubles, girl’s doubles and mixed doubles.
And three teams made the semi-finals with two of them finishing on top.
Hayden Hill won over Brook Payne of Union, 7-5, 6-1, to earn her State Championship in girl’s singles and the mixed doubles pairing of Samuel Butler and Holly Ellis defeated Matthew Harkey and Lucy Loveless of Madison St. Joe, 7-5, 4-6, 6-1, to earn their first-place medals.
In boy’s doubles, John T. Champion and Rhett Parker took second place to Nick Hembree and Holt Stockett of Madison St. Joe but it took three sets to stop the Wolverines. Champion and Parker won the first set, 6-4, but fell 4-6, 2-6 in the next two, taking the runner-up position.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Habitat now Fuller Center February 17, 2017
- Deputies make several drug arrests February 18, 2017
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Americans need help fast February 18, 2017
- Turkey harvest reporting planned for spring February 18, 2017
- WEDDING: Kelly/Moore February 19, 2017
- HUES names Students of the Week February 21, 2017
- Family Resource Center offers services February 20, 2017
- ICC names fall scholars February 20, 2017
- County ponders TRPDD alliance February 20, 2017
- BIRTH: Swayze Jo Flora February 19, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago