He was the son of William Reed Martin and Hattie Mae Mulvihill Martin. He was a member of Carrolton Baptist Church. He had served his country in the U.S. Air Force. During his early years, he worked at the BellSouth Telephone Company in Greenwood, and he was a pilot. After moving to Big Creek in 1973, he was the co-owner of Martin’s Grocery. He was an avid, well-known fisherman that truly loved spending time on the lake and time with his family.
Visitation will be Friday, May 9, 2014, from 5 until 8 p.m. at Pryor Funeral Home in Calhoun City. Funeral service will be at 1 p.m. Saturday, May 10, 2014, at Pryor Funeral Home Chapel in Calhoun City with Bro. Mark Longino and Bro. John Hearn officiating. Burial will be in Mt. Nebo Cemetery in Big Creek. Pryor Funeral Home is in charge of the arrangements.
Pallbearers are Billy Martin, Ricky Martin, Bobby Martin, Bud Davis, David Poynor, Duane “Speck” Poynor, Michael Poynor and Roger Poynor. Honorary pallbearers are George Winters, Jason Martin, Popie Pope, Charles Liles, Justin Martin, Colton Martin, Chris Harcrow, Wesley Martin, Trey Moore, Joey Simmons, Larry Joe James, Troy Winters and Mike Mize.
He is survived by his wife of 47 years, Jamie Sue Poynor Martin; his daughter, Liz (Gene) Alexander; his son, Mark (Cheryl) Martin, all of Big Creek. He is also survived by four granddaughters that he dearly loved and devoted his life to, Jeri-Laken Alexander (Kipper) Greer, Brittany Martin (Cody) Greer, Jayla Alexander (Justin) Greer, and Madysen Martin. He was blessed with great-grands, Alayna Murphree, Jersi Greer, and Jacob Greer. He was looking forward to the fourth one, Jaystin Greer. He is also survived by his sisters, Carolyn Jones, Big Creek; Barbara (Bob) Mastellar, Lake Washington; and Francis Davis, Greenwood; his brother, Raymond (Ruth) Martin, San Diego, Calif.; sister-in-law, Minnie (George) Winters; brothers-in-law, David (Lisa) Poynor, Big Creek; Speck Poynor, Union; and a host of nieces, nephews and friends.
He was preceded in death by his parents, William Reed Martin and Mae Mulvihill Martin; sister, Margaret Nichols; and brothers, Robert Martin, Billy Martin and Paul Martin.
Online condolences can be left at pryorfuneralhome.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Deputies tase suspect in shots fired call October 15, 2016
- Okolona battles but nipped by Wolverines October 19, 2016
- PREP ROUNDUP: Vardaman, Houlka, Louisville, Pontotoc October 19, 2016
- Lady Toppers take first round October 19, 2016
- Few storms, small hail expected tonight and Thursday October 19, 2016
- POLICE ROUNDUP: Charges upgraded following fatal accident October 21, 2016
- WEEK 10: High School Football Previews October 21, 2016
- Pilot Club to host pageant October 21, 2016
- Houlka reviews preliminary test scores October 21, 2016
- Number 8! October 20, 2016
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago