Sending love to Sonny
PHEBA – Each white balloon released against a clear, blue sky sent a message of love to heaven as students, faculty, friends and family members of the late Sonny Andrew Quinones held a memorial for him at Hebron Christian School May 8.
Quinones, 11, was third grade student at HCS when he died in an accident at home March 20. The school wanted to do something in his honor and sold T-shirts to raise funds.
“We were going to give the money to his grandparents but they wanted it to go back to the school for playground equipment,” said Terry Eaton who has children at the school. “He loved to climb so we are looking for some kind of playground equipment the children can climb on.”
The student body met on the playground for a balloon release with Bro. Andy Parrish saying a few words about Quinones.
“We miss him telling jokes,” Parrish said. “We miss his magic tricks. I wish I could do magic tricks like Sonny. We miss his hugs. I wish we could have another hug from him but we can’t. These balloons tell God we miss Sonny.”
Parrish led a prayer and read a poem prior to releasing the balloons.
Headmaster John Harper said Quinones is missed at the school.
“He was a good little rascal,” Harper said. “He was all boy, he loved to climb. The kids really opened up their hearts for him.”
Quinones’ grandmother, Patricia Skelton of West Point, attended the ceremony and said it was a special day for Sonny’s family.
“It really touched me,” Skelton said.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Support for Solar Car July 22, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago