HOUSTON – Robert E. “R.E.” Vance, 83, of Houston, died Friday, May 16, 2014, at Sanctuary Hospice House in Tupelo. He was born April 6, 1931, in Clay County to Frank Burkett Vance and Mary Elizabeth Walls Vance. He was a retired fitting welder for B&W, a member of Macedonia United Methodist Church, a Purple Heart recipient from the Korean Conflict Veteran and the past All American Commander of the Tupelo VFW Post 4057 for the years of 1990 and 1991. He loved to hunt, fish and garden.
Services will be 2 p.m. Sunday, May 18, at Houston Funeral Home in Houston with the Rev. Mark Hoover and the Rev. Steve Lampkin officiating. Burial will be in Macedonia Cemetery. Houston Funeral Home of Houston is in charge of arrangements.
Survivors include his wife of 58 years, Marie Allen Vance of Houston; his daughter, Gayle and Mike Malone of Nettleton; his sisters, Grace McClain of Vardaman and Joyce and James Hooper of Eupora; his grandchildren, Amber Michelle Jenkins and Melissa Tanksley; his great-grandchildren, Zoe Wright, Cash Christian, Aaron Tanksley, Andrew Tanksley and Alavia Tanksley.
He was preceded in death by his parents; his brother, Ruble Vance; and his sisters, Hazel Griffin, Earline Whitt, Christine Wright and Sible Vanlandingham.
Pallbearers are Thomas Allen, Mike Malone, John Lancaster, Jerry McClain, Mike Altom and Craig Williams.
Honorary pallbearers are the Tupelo VFW Domino Players and Johnny Linley.
Visitation will be from 1 to 2 p.m. Sunday at the funeral home.
Friends and family may sign and leave a message on the online register book at houstonfuneralhomems.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- WEDDING: Kelly/Moore February 19, 2017
- Correctional Facility revenue reviewed February 23, 2017
- FLOYD INGRAM: Looking at the future February 23, 2017
- Growing our future with AEST February 23, 2017
- Extension gives out 1,800 trees February 24, 2017
- WEDDING: Horn/Lluy February 26, 2017
- JUANITA HORSTMAN: No peace or hope without Christ February 26, 2017
- Lady Hilltoppers ready for more February 25, 2017
- MDWFP crappie regulation being enforced February 25, 2017
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Hard work, right living equals singing, dancing February 25, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago