Absentee voting underway
HOUSTON – With several surrounding counties noted for a higher than usual number of absentee ballots cast in the 2012 county elections, Chickasaw County officials are doing their part to make sure all ballots are cast properly.
Chickasaw County Circuit Clerk’s office employees said voting an absentee ballot is complex and they work hard to help people make sure their vote counts if they are going to be out of town on Election Day or if they are physically unable to get to the polls.
Marking the ballot is the easy part.
The difficulty comes in following the instructions for mailing in both the application and ballot back to the Circuit Clerk’s office. Voters sign their name at some very specific spots and in a very specific way and the correct form must be placed in the right envelop. And voters have to get it all to the Circuit Clerk’s office before the deadline.
Also new this election cycle will be the implementation of Mississippi’s new voter identification law.
This means voters without acceptable identification must vote on a provisional ballot and also take additional steps after Election Day for it to be counted.
That’s why Circuit Clerk officials are urging people voting absentee ballots to come by the Circuit Clerk’s office from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday in either Houston of Okolona.
Voters will head to the polls on Tuesday, June 3, pick a party and cast their ballot for the candidates of their choice. Races that do not see a single candidate win by 50 percent plus one vote will meet in party primary runoff elections on June 24. Candidates who claimed their party’s election head to the General Election set for Tuesday, Nov. 4.
The Chickasaw County Circuit Clerk’s office can be reached at 662-456-2331.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- EDITORIAL: Shop local December 1, 2016
- County discusses CCRCC contract December 5, 2016
- Okolona addresses radio concerns December 5, 2016
- Fuller named to 2016 NMMC All Star Team December 5, 2016
- Locals named to ICC Workforce Council December 5, 2016
- SPORTS ROUNDUP: Prescott earns NCAA honor December 7, 2016
- Fatal fire in Okolona December 7, 2016
- The men in charge December 7, 2016
- Houston falters against Cal. City December 7, 2016
- Bulldogs make St. Petersburg Bowl December 7, 2016
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago