Campers on the diamond
“Go get it, throw it in! Good job!”
Grady Nabors’ positive words could be heard on the Houston High School baseball field last week as he took younger boys through fielding drills during baseball camp.
Nabors has good reason to be so encouraging to the potential Hilltoppers. It wasn’t that long ago he was in their cleats.
“I remember being around all the older kids,” Nabors said of his own days of summer camp. “I remember it was always fun and they were so cool. I know they (younger players) look up to the older kids.”
Houston coach Scott Gann also remembers attending camp as a young boy and now watches his JV and varsity team members take their turns as mentors.
“This shows them the other side of coaching,” Gann said. “We want them (campers) to learn the fundamentals and have an opportunity to be coached by guys they look up to like I did growing up.”
The three-day camp focused on fundamentals and skills training in hitting, fielding, running and – everyone’s favorite – sliding. But it also gave some of the older players an opportunity to step up to a coaching and role model position.
“They are mentors,” Gann said. “Take Tanner Smith, for example. He is really eating this up, getting to coach the younger guys.”
Gann said the camp is an opportunity for players to learn what their own coaches work toward in the dugout.
“Trying to teach them and keep them focused while we all stay happy and have fun,” Gann said.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Mantee woman charged with feed store burglary August 20, 2016
- Lady Hilltoppers down East Webster, 2-1 August 24, 2016
- Associate Degrees awarded at ICC for Spring 2016 August 24, 2016
- Man arrested on drug charges August 24, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Calling for help August 25, 2016
- FOOTBALL SCORES: Week 2 August 27, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Migrants jump out of the melting pot August 27, 2016
- Work set for Tanglefoot pathway August 26, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: A quick look around town August 25, 2016
- Lady Hilltoppers struggle at plate August 25, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago