Volunteers fan out to get signatures for K-12 funding
JACKSON – Friends of Mississippi public schools are working statewide to get signatures on petitions for a constitutional amendment to require the state to adequately fund kindergarten through Grade 12.
The petition drive is organized by Better Schools, Better Jobs, a statewide group formed to promote the issue for the November 2015 ballot.
Signature collectors will be seen at high school graduations and other school events, and throughout the summer.
Anyone interested in the effort is asked to go to the website www.BetterMS.org or call (769) 524-6818.
More than 107,000 signatures of registered voters will be required to get the issue on the ballot.
In 1997, the Legislature passed the Mississippi Adequate Education Program to put a financial “floor” under all school districts. However, MAEP has been fully funded only twice.
Better Schools, Better Jobs seeks to make the funding mandatory by making it part of the Mississippi constitution.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
aberdeen, amory, Better Jobs, Better Schools, Bruce, Calhoun City, Calhoun County, chickasaw, Chickasaw County, education, Eupora, featured, Franklin, High School, houlka, Houston, jobs, MAEP, Mantee, Mississippi, Mississippi Adequate Education Program, Okolona, Pontotoc, Register, schools, Summer, Tupelo, Vardaman, Voters, west point, Woodland
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Culinary arts teacher opens up new world for students July 24, 2016
- Walker takes second at Pros of Tomorrow July 24, 2016
- Scott, Hardin honored by ICC July 24, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Dr. Darrick Whitfield: Don’t be a slacker! July 27, 2016
- Eaton Automotive finishes season July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago