Firefighters respond to carbon monoxide poisoning
“In my 20 years of firefighting, I’ve never seen anything like this,” said Capt. Jonathan Blankenship, of the Houston Fire Department. “We have trained for this and recognized it right away, but it was a scene straight out of a television show.”
The Houston Fire Department was called to Auto Zone at 804 North Jackson about 10:30 p.m. May 27 and found two people outside disoriented, coughing and complaining of a head ache.
“Their cheeks were a rosy red, they were gagging and very disoriented,” said Blankenship. “We immediately put them on oxygen and that’s when they told us there were two more inside.”
Blankenship said firefighters entered the building in masks and found two men passed out behind the counter and a gasoline powered buffer used to strip and clean the floors still working.
The two unconscious men were pulled from the building and ambulance crews whisked all four victims to North Mississippi Medical Center.
“Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless and most people pass out from it and don’t realize it,” said Blankenship. “There is not a doubt in my mind if those two men had not made it outside, somebody would have found four dead bodies when they opened the store the next morning.”
Blankenship said all four victims were treated and released.
Police take man into custody
HOUSTON – Houston Police took a local man into custody about midnight Friday after he allegedly was walking in front of cars on North Jackson Street.
“Our officers arrived and found a man disoriented and took him into custody,” said Houston Police Chief Billy Voyles. “He had said he was going to commit suicide and we took him into custody for his own safety.”
Voyles said the man was apparently off his medication and may have been drinking. No charges were filed and Voyles asked the man not be identified. The man was taken to a local clinic.
“The call we got said someone was darting in front of cars,” said Voyles. “He was not confrontational and did just what the officers asked him to do. I am glad we were able to help before someone got hurt.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Houston Trustees approve $847,000 maintenance project January 12, 2017
- County contemplates paving project January 16, 2017
- NEMCC names honor students January 16, 2017
- JOHN CALVIN: Let’s hope new government will guide us better January 17, 2017
- Orr named Masonic scholar January 17, 2017
- 4-H Promotion Day is Thursday. January 18, 2017
- Chieftains roll Green Wave January 18, 2017
- Houlka sweeps Rams to start division play January 18, 2017
- Okolona man charged in Amory armed robbery January 17, 2017
- Houston truck driver killed in Jackson crash January 17, 2017
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago