Chris McDaniel slated to stop in Houston Thursday morning
Senatorial candidate McDaniel is in a tight runoff race with longtime incumbent Senator Thad Cochran and this marks the first time either candidate has campaigned in Chickasaw County this year.
Voters head to the polls June 24, to decide which Republican candidate will move on to face Democrat Travis Childers in the November General Election.
McDaniel was seen as a long shot when he announced for the post in the fall of 2013.
McDaniel, a Tea Party favorite, has stirred conservative Republicans with promises of fiscal integrity and stewardship along with constant quotes that he will go to Washington and dismantle the Affordable Care Act or Obamacare.
One of McDaniel’s signature pieces of legislation as a state senator was the “Mississippi Student Religious Liberties Act of 2013” that protects students’ right to express their individual religious beliefs.
He strongly opposes the NSA’s surveillance program of U.S. citizens and supports making fundamental changes to the PATRIOT Act.
McDaniel also opposes amnesty for illegal immigrants and believes in enforcing the laws on the books and secure the nation’s borders first. As a state senator, McDaniel introduced the Employment Protection Act to require all companies to use the Internet-based system to check the legal status of potential employees.
Sen. Cochran, 78, has become an influential Republican moderate in Washington since he was elected to the Senate in 1978. Cochran is currently the ranking member of the Senate Agriculture Committee. Sen. Cochran is in line to be the chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee should the Republican Party retake the Senate.
The Tea Party is apparently gaining traction across the country and in Washington with the recent defeat of House Majority Leader Eric Cantor to Tea Party candidate David Brat, an economics professor at Randolph-Macon College in Virginia.
McDaniel starts Thursday’s tour in Grenada with stops in Calhoun City, Houston, Mathiston, Ackerman, Starkville and Columbus. McDaniel ran strong in south Mississippi, the central part of the state and Republican red northwest Mississippi. The primary election saw Cochran run well in the Delta and conservative Northeast Mississippi.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Houlka Cornbread Festival set for Oct. 8 August 17, 2016
- JASON BROOKS: CDF thanks picnic area donors August 21, 2016
- HUES names Students of the Week August 21, 2016
- Houston hammering out employee handbook August 22, 2016
- Houlka aldermen briefed on annexation August 22, 2016
- Man arrested on drug charges August 24, 2016
- Associate Degrees awarded at ICC for Spring 2016 August 24, 2016
- Lady Hilltoppers down East Webster, 2-1 August 24, 2016
- Houlka buys body cams for PD August 24, 2016
- Okolona man in custody after high speed chase August 23, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago