Hail storm, rain hit area
Linda Griffin, Director of the Chickasaw County Emergency Management Agency, golf-ball size hail was reported in Anchor with minor damage reported to buildings, cars and gardens.
“There were a few vehicles reporting damage and the skylight at the Atlanta Volunteer Fire Department was broken,” said Griffin. “The damage was confined to the southwest part of the county and nobody was hurt.”
Griffin did say wind from that storm caused a tree to fall across Highway 15 just south of the Houlka intersection and trees were reported down in Thorn.
“The power was out in Thorn for a little while but there were no reports of accidents,” said Griffin. “Crews got out there and cleaned things up quickly.”
Griffin said summer storms are a constant threat across Northeast Mississippi right now.
“We’ve had some rain and that means we could have flooding if we get more rain – which is in the forecast,” said Griffin. “And the threat of lightning is also very real this time of year.”
Griffin said most flood deaths occur when people try to drive across submerged roads. She urged drivers faced with flood waters to find another route or wait an hour or two until the water recedes.
“I also want to remind parents that most lightning death involving children occur after a storm,” said Griffin. “The kids want to go outside as soon as it stops raining and there is still a threat of lightning. It’s a good idea to keep kids inside for about an hour or until the storm is well out of the area.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- MDOT moves forward with Hwy. 15 work August 21, 2016
- Okolona offense tramples Nettleton August 25, 2016
- County fire ratings drop August 25, 2016
- MBN makes drug arrest August 25, 2016
- Pontotoc rains on Houston August 25, 2016
- Cowboys’ veterans big fans of Prescott August 28, 2016
- Flywheel Festival seeks vendors August 28, 2016
- LOCAL GOVERNMENT MEETINGS August 27, 2016
- FOOTBALL SCORES: Week 2 August 27, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Migrants jump out of the melting pot August 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago