Music festival heats up Houston
HOUSTON – We would call it the hottest music ticket in Northeast Mississippi this weekend, but it’s free.
Houston will host the Chickasaw County Instrumental Music Festival Friday and Saturday with a list of top-notch instrumentalist and vocal performers set to hit the stage at Joe Brigance Park Friday night and Saturday morning.
Event organizer and Houston native Jermaine Morgan said the festival will showcase instrumental music but the goal is to expose the community to quality musicians and spark an interest in learning to play an instrument.
“Most of the youth have little or no interest at all in playing an instrument or pursuing a musical career, due to the fact that they don’t view it as being successful in the South,” said Morgan. “With this festival we hope to begin to change that outlook on music.”
Morgan said the festival will bring in a number of instrumental masters.
“We hope to develop a deeper appreciation for music and the dedication that it takes to master an instrument,” said Morgan. “Studies have shown that youth who are involved in music typically perform better in school. The discipline of music helps youth throughout their life, even if they don’t fully pursue music as career.”
The music starts at 6 p.m. Friday on the Main Stage at Joe Brigance Park. It cranks back up at 9 a.m. Saturday and closes out about 1 p.m.
Vendors will be on site to offer refreshments, t-shirts and festival snacks. Several civic clubs will also have events for kids.
Morgan said it will be a family-friendly environment and he urged attendees to bring the kids, blankets and chairs.
“CCIMF is also about bringing an awareness to the surrounding communities about health and social development,” Morgan said. “We believe that with help of God and through CCIMF we can impact a generation through music.”
Event sponsors include the City of Houston, Eddie Long, H.O.P.E, Clinton McFarland Ministries,
SR Designs, GruvGear, Remo, Vic Firth, New Zion M.B. Church, ND Man Productions, Christian Fellowship Church, Griffin Motors and One Body By AJ.
The following are artists slated to appear at the Chickasaw County Instrumental Music Festival Friday and Saturday. Artists listed by the day they will perform, name, genre and hometown are:
• Dr. Cass Patrick – Jazz guitar (ICC)
• Jeremy Freelon – Drum Artist (Oxford)
• Ron James – Smooth Jazz Saxophonist (Atlanta, Ga.)
• Jermaine Morgan – Bass Artist (Atlanta, Ga.)
• Ricky Burkhead – Percussionist (Ole Miss)
• Chawan Jernigan – Guitarist (Louisville)
• James Judon – Guitarist ( Holly Springs)
• Sam Mosley – Blues Artist (New Albany)
• Shea Norman – Gospel Artist ( Muscle Shoals, Ala.)
• Ruby Tiggs – Gospel Artist (Florence, Ala.)
• The Prayer Warriors Band – Christian Artist (Oxford)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Learning to smile forever July 19, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Real men rise above the status quo July 23, 2016
- Please clean up the Carnegie Library July 23, 2016
- Getting a good start at school July 24, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Scott, Hardin honored by ICC July 24, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago