Unity in Una
UNA – Perfect weather made for a perfect weekend at the Una Fun Fest Friday night and Saturday morning.
“We got a cool breeze Friday night and the Lord just blessed our Gospel singing,” said Sandra Wofford, secretary for Una Fun Fest. “It was hot Saturday, but there was plenty of shade and our booths served a lot of lemonade and snowcones.”
The two-day event at the community park saw kids games, booths selling arts and crafts and vendors selling everything from barbecue and hamburgers to chicken and collard greens
“We are trying to raise money to build a kids park,” said Rosie Vance, assistant secretary. “This event is all about bringing the community together. We talk about what we need out here and then do something about it.”
Vance said the long-range goal includes a basketball court.
Vance and Wofford said cars parked all the way to the road Friday night as the community gathered to listen to local gospel groups. Vendors and booths opened back up at 10 a.m. Saturday and wrapped it all up about sundown.
Local politicians were invited to take the microphone and introduce themselves to the crowd.
Wofford said this was the eighth year for the Una Fun Fest and she felt it was the biggest ever.
“It started as a family reunion and has grown into a community reunion,” said Wofford. “We’ve always tried to keep it family oriented and turn around and help people and our community with this. God has blessed it and allowed it to grow into what it is today.”
Wofford said every year she sees people who grew up in Una and that she has not seen in a long time. She said it all about bringing all segments of the community together.
“We built the pavilion all this is under and we have plans to expand it at some point in the future,” said Wofford. “People use it for family reunions, birthday parties and churches use it, too. There is something going on at the pavilion just about every weekend.”
The Rev. Sylvester Walker is president of the Una Fun Fest with Shelton Deans serving as treasurer and Shirley Walker as assistant treasurer.
For more information about Una Fun Fest contact Wofford at 456-4034 or email to email@example.com.
“It’s all about fellowship and bringing a little unity to Una,” said Wofford. “We want people to come be a part of it every year.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Learning to smile forever July 19, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Real men rise above the status quo July 23, 2016
- Please clean up the Carnegie Library July 23, 2016
- Getting a good start at school July 24, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago