City clerk indicted in Oxford
OXFORD – A former Oxford deputy city clerk has been indicted by a Lafayette County grand jury on a charge of embezzlement.
Alisa Liggins resigned her position in June 2013 after an investigation indicated irregularities in the handling of justice court receipts in 2012.
Liggins, 46, of Oxford, was arrested Monday and was released on $5,000 bond. The charge carries a potential penalty of up to $25,000 in fines or 10 years in prison. She is accused of embezzling $12,703.50 over the course of several months from the city of Oxford, according to State Auditor Stacy Pickering.
Liggins attempted to conceal the embezzlement scheme, Pickering said, by delaying general ledger entries and bank deposits and using future receipts to balance general ledger entries.
Mayor Pat Patterson said, “It is the policy of the city of Oxford not to comment on criminal investigations or matters of personnel. Any further information will have to come from our legal staff.”
Liggins had worked as a deputy clerk for the Oxford City Clerk’s Office since 2005.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Culinary arts teacher opens up new world for students July 24, 2016
- Walker takes second at Pros of Tomorrow July 24, 2016
- Scott, Hardin honored by ICC July 24, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Eaton Automotive finishes season July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago