Plane crashes, burns in Houston
A two-engine Beechcraft KingAir owned by Quality Iron of Houston was attempting to land when it was apparently hit by a gust of wind, lifted to one side and hit the runway. The airplane then did a ground roll and slid into a ditch on the south side of the runway.
The five people on the plane made it out as the aircraft caught fire. The plane had just made a jump from Memphis to pick up a passenger in Houston and its next stop was Louisiana.
“We had a little bit of a problem putting the fire out because water doesn’t mix with aviation fuel,” said Captain Jonathan Blankenship of the Houston Fire Department. “We ended up getting a foam additive and putting that in our tanks and that solved the problem.”
The accident occurred about 8 a.m. and firefighters had the fire out at 9:05 a.m. Emergency crews left the scene about 9:30 a.m.
“I was coming in on runway two-one and when I touched we were hit by severe wind-shear,” said pilot Dan Campbell. “I’m Ok and I’m just thankful everyone else is Ok.”
Campbell said the FAA was slated to be in Houston about noon and would conduct its investigation at that time.
Two passengers were treated for minor injuries, one a head injury and the other a pulled back, at Trace Regional Hospital in Houston.
Houston Airport Manager Jack Lewis said he was pleased with the response.
“The fire department and ambulances got here very quickly,” said Lewis. “This could have turned out very different.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- EDITORIAL: Demanding excellence October 20, 2016
- Signs are illegal in rights-of-way October 25, 2016
- Smithville rolls over Vardaman October 25, 2016
- MSU names Summer 2016 graduates October 25, 2016
- Collision kills two near Vardaman October 25, 2016
- County formally amends 2016 budget October 27, 2016
- Louisville edges Toppers October 27, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Red Ribbon Week October 26, 2016
- Art in the Park is Thursday October 26, 2016
- Red Ribbon Week October 26, 2016
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago