Chickasaw County car/horse collision is fatal
THORN – A Chickasaw County man has died as the results of injuries he received after his vehicle hit a horse on a county road west of Houston Monday morning.
Emergency crews were called to County Road 20 in the Thorn Community about 3 a.m. after a small pickup allegedly hit a horse. The driver was transported to Trace Regional Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The driver has been identified as Bobby Gene Long, 55, of Thorn, who was northbound and headed to work when the accident occurred.
“It was dark and there were reports of haze in the area,” said Chickasaw County Coroner Andy Harmon. “When he hit the horse it made the vehicle leave the road and the driver was ejected.”
Harmon said a resident in the area heard the crash and called 911.
“Mr. Long was the lone occupant of the pickup and there were no other vehicles involved in this accident,” said Harmon. “We are working to find out who the horse might have belonged to. It was a tragic accident.”
Harmon said an ambulance transported Long to the emergency room and a helicopter was requested to carry Long to Tupelo.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Okolona nipped by Shannon September 22, 2016
- MDOC postpones strict visitation rules September 26, 2016
- Chickasaw County legislator was near New York terrorist attack September 26, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: A place called Houston September 26, 2016
- Fight brought to Houston PD September 27, 2016
- Two arrested on drug charges September 28, 2016
- ICC offers C2C to those who want to work September 28, 2016
- East Webster rolls over South Pontotoc September 28, 2016
- Chieftains fight to the finish September 28, 2016
- Houlka student earns MASS scholarship September 28, 2016
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago