SEC Media Days: Chris Jones makes big impression in Starkville
HOOVER, Ala. – For Chris Jones, a bumpy recruiting road stabilized rather quickly once it ended in Starkville.
Maybe the country’s hottest topic leading up to Mississippi State’s 2013 recruiting class, Jones emphatically put all the drama behind him as soon as the first collegiate ball of his career kicked off.
“Chris Jones, he’s a freak,” Mississippi State linebacker Benardrick McKinney said Tuesday from SEC Media Days. “He’s a big human. He’s fast. He’s athletic. He’s very smart.”
Mississippi State was smart for jumping on the Chris Jones bandwagon first, and despite a heavy Ole Miss push, the 6-foot-5, 300-pound defensive lineman stuck with the Bulldogs. And it paid off immediately for both parties.
The Houston product and 2012 Daily Journal Defensive Player of the Year started three games for the Bulldogs. He played in all 13. Jones finished with 32 tackles and team-highs of seven tackles-for-loss (tied with McKinney) and 10 quarterback hurries. He had three pass breakups and three deflections and was named Associated Press All-SEC honorable mention.Athlon, Bleacher Report and 247Sports named him a Freshman All-American.
Those stats didn’t surprise McKinney.
“Like I said, he’s a big freak, so…” McKinney said.
Jones had two tackles for loss in the Egg Bowl win against Ole Miss and flashed a landshark fin, a photo that went about as wild on social media as his undercover recruiting visits to Oxford. That game earned him SEC Co-Freshman of the Week honors.
His recruiting road was so engrossing because both Mississippi State and Ole Miss fans knew what they would be getting.
“Chris Jones, man he’s phenomenal,” Mississippi State safety Jay Hughes said. “He’s phenomenal, freakish. I really enjoy watching him play. I enjoy watching him play.”
But not just a freak specimen. A freak with numbers to back it up.
Hughes calls Mississippi State’s defense “psycho,” a “go nuts, let’s get crazy” style of play. Jones’ path to Starkville was more than crazy. Now, he’s just crazy good and a big part of that psycho defense.
Jones was placed on the Rotary Lombardi Award list on Monday, the first preseason watchlist selection of his career. Athlon has named him a Preseason All-American.
Hughes couldn’t emphasize enough how impressive Jones is.
“Even when I was sitting out, I’m like, ‘Look at this dude,’” Hughes said. “’Look at this dude. He’s just a freshman, man.’”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- MDOT moves forward with Hwy. 15 work August 21, 2016
- Okolona offense tramples Nettleton August 25, 2016
- County fire ratings drop August 25, 2016
- MBN makes drug arrest August 25, 2016
- Pontotoc rains on Houston August 25, 2016
- Cowboys’ veterans big fans of Prescott August 28, 2016
- Flywheel Festival seeks vendors August 28, 2016
- LOCAL GOVERNMENT MEETINGS August 27, 2016
- FOOTBALL SCORES: Week 2 August 27, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Migrants jump out of the melting pot August 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago