Two die in fire north of West Point
The fire at 2090 Dr. Sears Road killed Alvin Tallie Sr., 54, and his wife Fatenia Tallie, 54, said Clay County Coroner Alvin Carter Jr. Another adult and a child also were in the house and escaped, Carter said.
The child was unharmed, and the adult was taken to North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo for treatment of smoke inhalation and cuts.
The fire began at about 11:10 Thursday night at the location three miles north of West Point. Volunteer fire units spent about an hour to get the fire under control, and it completely destroyed the house.
Its cause is still being investigated, and a representative from the state Fire Marshal’s Office was on the scene on Friday morning.
It appeared the Tallies were trapped in the back of the home, and that they “succumbed to smoke inhalation” as they tried to exit through the back bathroom window, Carter said.
Their bodies are being sent to Jackson for an autopsy, but foul play is not suspected.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Chris KiefferI am the Managing Editor for Multimedia and Enterprise. I previously served as the Daily Journal's education reporter. I'm a New Orleans native, husband, father and avid baseball fan.
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Support for Solar Car July 22, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago