Better Schools petitions available
But there are also those who want to see the state honor it commitment to education and they have drawn up a petition that could prompt the Legislature to fully fun public school districts across the state.
Friends of Mississippi public schools are working statewide to get signatures on petitions for a constitutional amendment to require the state to adequately fund kindergarten through Grade 12.
The petition drive is organized by Better Schools, Better Jobs, a statewide group formed to promote the issue for the November 2015 ballot.
Signature collectors will be seen at high school graduations and other school events, and throughout the summer.
“The process has a variety of phases,” said Patsy Brumfield, spokesman for Better Schools, Better Jobs. “We are in the process of gathering signatures and educating the public on what we are doing.
“Our deadline to collect signatures is Aug. 15,” said Brumfield. “Then we get the petition certified and we head to the Secretary of State in October and get him to put it on the ballot so Mississippians can vote on this.”
More than 107,000 signatures of registered voters will be required to get the issue on the ballot. Brumfield said Better School is seeking 120,000 signatures and would like 200,000. She said they currently have 87,000 signatures.
“Seventeen years ago the Legislature passed the Mississippi Adequate Education Program to financially shore up all school district,” Brumfield said. “The formula saw poorer school districts helped a little more than wealthy school districts and it had bi-partisan support.
“However, MAEP has been fully funded only twice since then” said Brumfield. “Schools have suffered because of this inadequate funding and our children have suffered, too.”
Brumfield added the state has also suffered, saying better schools would help Mississippi attract industry and better jobs.
Houston School Superintendent Dr. Steve Coker said Houston school children have been underfunded by MAEP to the tune of $4 million over the past four years. Okolona School district has lost over $70,000 a year over the past 17 years. Chickasaw County School District has been underfunded a total of $1.9 million by MAEP since 1997.
Anyone interested in the effort is asked to go to the website www.betterms.org or call (769) 524-6818.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Nabors named top home improvement store in state July 18, 2016
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Giving your very best July 18, 2016
- Homegrown and Houston proud July 23, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Real men rise above the status quo July 23, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Scott, Hardin honored by ICC July 24, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago