Houston Solar Car team wins 14th Solar Challenge
HOUSTON – For the 14th year in a row the Houston Solar Car Team has gone to Texas and beaten every other high school solar car team in the nation.
Sundancer, the name of the Houston solar vehicle, crossed the Solar Challenge finish line in Austin, Texas, on Thursday afternoon with an unofficial 120-mile lead over its nearest competitor in the four-day hybrid race that saw two days of racing on the Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth and two days of road racing to Austin.
“The car performed perfectly and did so well,” said Houston Solar Car team captain Kristen Black. “I am so proud of this team. The car was ready, they were ready and we won it all – again.”
Black, a third-year veteran of the Houston School of Science and Technology’s solar car program, said there were no major navigation errors, no glaring safety issues and no major mechanical or electrical problems.
“I worried about me being the captain of the team that broke the streak,” said Black. “But then we started racing, got out front and stayed out front. This feeling of being the best in this race is what solar car is all about.”
Black and the Houston Solar Car Team accepted their 14th Solar Challenge Championship Trophy at a banquet at the University of Texas at Austin on Thursday night.
Twenty-five teams – a competition record – entered this year, racing under a new format called hybrid racing that saw two days of closed circuit racing on the Texas Motor Speedway and two days of road racing from Fort Worth via Waco to Austin.
The team is expected to return to Houston Saturday afternoon.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Nabors named top home improvement store in state July 18, 2016
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Giving your very best July 18, 2016
- Homegrown and Houston proud July 23, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Real men rise above the status quo July 23, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Scott, Hardin honored by ICC July 24, 2016
- Walker takes second at Pros of Tomorrow July 24, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago