EDITORIAL: Fourteen in a row!
They did it again this year with a tried and true strategy that has withstood the test of time since two cavemen decided to race to the next tree – get out in front and stay there!
Your Houston Solar Car Team raced a hybrid race this summer where they ran closed circuit laps for two days on the Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth and then headed out on Texas highways for two days of road racing on the way to Austin. They won both stages of this race.
This community and this newspaper would like to publicly thank the members of the 2014 Houston Solar Car Team; Kristen Black, Allyson Taylor, Cody Gordillo, Malik Lawrence, Matthew Hood, Greg Hollingsworth, Zack Mixon, Hayden Powell, Jackson Whitt and college intern Jacob Bridgman.
We would also like to thank the 2014 Houston Solar Car instructors/advisors Keith Reese, BB Turman, Anita Ellison and Donna Turman.
And last but not least we want to thank the sponsors of Houston Solar Car – those individuals and companies who publicly and privately finance our solar car team. We especially want to thank the local VFW Chapter, the Lowndes County Chapter and the State VFW for giving this program a check for $10,000 last fall.
This newspaper has repeatedly said one of the things Houston does best is Solar Car.
But there is a need for our community to re-invest in this program.
Racing at any level can be expensive.
We want to take this opportunity to thank those who have bankrolled the Houston Solar Car team year after year. We urge your continued support of this program that teaches excellence and carries this town’s good name across this country and the world.
We urge past supporters of the Houston Solar Car program to once again consider putting their name on the car as a full-fledged and committed sponsor. We want to urge individuals to consider putting their name on a check – for any amount — and helping a youngster make the race.
We urge our school district, our city, our county and even our state to look for ways to financially support our solar car. You are the ones who truly benefit.
The Houston Solar Car program is one of the things this community does best. We need to support it with our hearts and our wallets.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Homegrown and Houston proud July 23, 2016
- Eaton Automotive finishes season July 26, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Testing our schoolsEDITORIAL: Testing our schools July 27, 2016
- Sundancer finishes first, again July 27, 2016
- Okolona trustees approve summer programs July 29, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago