Chickasaw trustees seek architect
HOULKA – Trustees have begun work on rebuilding the Houlka Attendance Center that was destroyed by fire last week, and the clock is ticking.
Chickasaw County School trustees have been told by their insurance company they have two years, from the Wednesday, July 30 date of the fire that burned their school, to rebuild a new facility.
“That’s not a lot of time if you want to start taking bids next spring for the summer construction season,” said Chickasaw County School Board Attorney Jimmy Hood. “You need to get with an architect and start thinking about a design. The old building is gone and we need to look at getting it replaced.”
Trustee Kenneth Linton, a retired contractor, said architects tend to specialize in a particular type of work and he urged the board to find one with a history of designing schools.
The district has been told by their insurance carrier, Liberty Mutual, to expect “replacement of the content and a facility similar to what was lost.” The Houlka Attendance Center was roughly 14,000-square-feet and included classrooms and an auditorium.
Hood said he heard adjusters say the district would get roughly $120 per square foot, but the board generally agreed it would probably cost $200 per square foot to replace the building.
Superintendent Dr. Betsy Collums said she would get the insurance company to nail down a cost per square foot estimate and prepare a list of architects for the next board meeting Aug. 12.
Hood said the walls of the burned out building are a safety issue and they need to come down. Trustees said they would contact the county about the possibility of razing the site.
Trustees discussed the size of the new auditorium and the possibility of rebuilding on a concrete slab.
The board also voted to establish a special New Building Fund for the district.
“We have had a lot of people come to us and want to donate money for the school,” said Collums. “Each donor will get a receipt, the funds will be deposited in a special account and each donation must be spread across the minutes with the donor’s name and amount.”
Collums said the district is ready for the start of school of Wednesday and have prepared for 500 students. She said approximately 120 junior high students will be directly affected by the fire.
Collums urged parents to be patient and she felt students would adjust to the changes quickly.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Mantee woman charged with feed store burglary August 20, 2016
- Houlka buys body cams for PD August 24, 2016
- Lady Hilltoppers down East Webster, 2-1 August 24, 2016
- Associate Degrees awarded at ICC for Spring 2016 August 24, 2016
- Man arrested on drug charges August 24, 2016
- Work set for Tanglefoot pathway August 26, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: A quick look around town August 25, 2016
- Lady Hilltoppers struggle at plate August 25, 2016
- Pontotoc rains on Houston August 25, 2016
- MBN makes drug arrest August 25, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago