Midnight Madness is Friday
The Mississippi High School Athletic Association has strict rules for when teams can begin practice and Houston will play the game as it is meant to be played with their first drills in full pads this weekend.
“We’ve done this for a couple of years now and the community really seems to like it,” said Houston football coach William Cook. “I think the team hypes it, too, and looks forward to it. I know it’s usually cooler and both players and coaches like cooler weather in the fall.”
The Hilltoppers started physical drills Monday with units running through conditioning exercises and getting a start on what will be the 2014 football season.
“We will get two practices in shells and then put on the full pads Friday night,” said Cook. “It’s football and putting on the pads means something.”
Cook said the Hilltoppers will follow it up next weekend with a Friday scrimmage against Bessemer (Ala.) Academy at West Lowndes High School for two quarters of friendly competition.
“That scrimmage will give the guys a chance to push on someone in a different uniform,” said Cook. “We use it to try a few things and get a last look at different people.”
Cooks said the scrimmage will be more for coaches to make last minute evaluations rather than to let the Hilltoppers shine on the scoreboard.
Houston heads to Pontotoc for a 7 p.m. season opener on Aug. 22. The Hilltoppers play their first home game when Calhoun City comes calling on Aug. 29.
The Hilltoppers will then face off against cross county rival Okolona in the Battle of the Creek Sept. 9. That game will also be played in Houston.
District competition starts Oct. 3 at Caledonia.
Houston Football 2014
Aug. 9 – Midnight Madness at Topper Field in Houston.
Aug. 19 – Scrimmage with Bessemer Academy, at West Lowndes.
Aug. 22 – Houston at Pontotoc.
Aug. 29 – Calhoun City at Houston.
Sept. 5 – Okolona at Houston.
Sept. 12 – Houston at East Webster.
Sept. 19 – Choctaw County at Houston.
Sept. 26 – Houston at Eupora.
Oct. 3 – Houston at Caledonia*
Oct. 10 – Kosciusko at Houston*
Oct. 17 – Leake Central at Houston*
Oct. 24 – West Lauderdale at Houston*
Oct. 31 – Houston at Noxubee County*
* denotes district game
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Habitat now Fuller Center February 17, 2017
- EDITORIAL: Crosswalks needed February 16, 2017
- Family Resource Center offers services February 20, 2017
- HUES names Students of the Week February 21, 2017
- WIN Center offers iPhone class February 21, 2017
- EDITORIAL: Tidy up the Trail February 22, 2017
- “Dream Big” February 22, 2017
- Chieftains claim District February 22, 2017
- Wildcats roll out of district February 22, 2017
- One killed in wreck involving ambulance February 21, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago