Those big yellow school buses are painted that color for a reason and even a glimpse of that shade should shout caution to any responsible driver.
Houston Town Marshal Billy Voyles reminds local motorists that the fines for driving dangerously around a school bus are hefty.
He also pointed out law enforcement and judges traditionally show no mercy for those caught driving carelessly around school buses.
He said his department will have extra patrols around schools the first few weeks of class and this is the only warning motorists will get.
“Slow down,” said Voyles.
This newspaper would like to go further and add that anyone who spots motorist driving dangerously around school buses or in school zones should contact authorities immediately. All you need to do is get a tag number, brief description and quietly call 911.
Houston, Okolona and Houlka law enforcement have all said they will check into it immediately.
We encourage motorist to leave a little early when taking kids to school. Please make sure seatbelts are buckled, the radio is turned down and your mind is on getting your kids to school safely.
It is the intention of law enforcement, school officials and this newspaper to do everything in our power to have a safe school year.
Statistics from the National Safety Council indicate that a reduction in speed of just 10 miles per hour would alleviate an estimated 40-percent of auto accidents.
So before you gripe about speed bumps, driveway potholes or carry your ticket to court seeking justice – Slow down!
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Is Hillary’s health our biggest problem? September 24, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Made in Chickasaw September 29, 2016
- Houston Homecoming Queen September 29, 2016
- Winning streak September 29, 2016
- District 4-4A football standings September 29, 2016
- WEEK 7: High School Football Scores October 1, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Is Bush 41 a Republican backstabber? October 1, 2016
- Houston native establishes Vision Center chair at Los Angeles hospital September 30, 2016
- 16th annual Life Chain set for Sunday September 30, 2016
- Lady Hilltoppers’ streak ends at four September 30, 2016
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago