Those big yellow school buses are painted that color for a reason and even a glimpse of that shade should shout caution to any responsible driver.
Houston Town Marshal Billy Voyles reminds local motorists that the fines for driving dangerously around a school bus are hefty.
He also pointed out law enforcement and judges traditionally show no mercy for those caught driving carelessly around school buses.
He said his department will have extra patrols around schools the first few weeks of class and this is the only warning motorists will get.
“Slow down,” said Voyles.
This newspaper would like to go further and add that anyone who spots motorist driving dangerously around school buses or in school zones should contact authorities immediately. All you need to do is get a tag number, brief description and quietly call 911.
Houston, Okolona and Houlka law enforcement have all said they will check into it immediately.
We encourage motorist to leave a little early when taking kids to school. Please make sure seatbelts are buckled, the radio is turned down and your mind is on getting your kids to school safely.
It is the intention of law enforcement, school officials and this newspaper to do everything in our power to have a safe school year.
Statistics from the National Safety Council indicate that a reduction in speed of just 10 miles per hour would alleviate an estimated 40-percent of auto accidents.
So before you gripe about speed bumps, driveway potholes or carry your ticket to court seeking justice – Slow down!
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Houston hammering out employee handbook August 22, 2016
- MBN makes drug arrest August 25, 2016
- Pontotoc rains on Houston August 25, 2016
- Lady Hilltoppers struggle at plate August 25, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: A quick look around town August 25, 2016
- Political Season August 29, 2016
- Cowboys’ veterans big fans of Prescott August 28, 2016
- Flywheel Festival seeks vendors August 28, 2016
- LOCAL GOVERNMENT MEETINGS August 27, 2016
- FOOTBALL SCORES: Week 2 August 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago