EW downs Vardaman in season opener
“We knew coming into this game that Vardaman was going to be physical up front,” said East Webster junior quarterback Jack Wilson. “We had to switch it up and pass a little bit more if we wanted to be successful in our running game.”
And pass they did. At the end of the night, East Webster had racked up 215 passing yards and completed 14 of their 19 passes.
East Webster scored every time they touched the ball in the first half except the final drive.
The Wolves opened the game with a pass from Wilson to DeAngelogelo Liggins for 14-yards. A few plays later, Chase Keller took the hand off and ran the ball to the Vardaman 21. A Ram penalty set East Webster up at the six, and with 8:11 remaining in the first, Keller again took the hand-off and punched it into the end zone. The PAT by Tyler Cosby was good and the race was on, 7-0.
The passing game came continued to fuel the fire on the next possession. On the third play from scrimmage from the Vardaman 43-yard line, Wilson connected with Liggins for a 56-yard score. With 4:45 in the 1st, Cosby put up the PAT and it was 14-0, EW.
The Wolverine passing streak continued on the next drive. Wilson was able to connect with two different receivers for three completions in a row before hooking up with Darius Briant for a 38-yard shot. The PAT again was good and with :51 left in the first, East Webster had a comfortable 21-0 lead.
The Wolverine defense continued to be very physical up front and in the open field and the second quarter was much of the same. Vardaman couldn’t get anything going, running or passing. The Wolves defense was able to keep them in their own territory for the entire first half, and by the end of the second quarter, East Webster was out to a 49-0 lead.
Wilson called off the pack and began giving younger players some experience.
This gave the Rams a chance to exploit the defense and score some points of their own. Vardaman rushed for six straight plays before Deon Johnson took a handoff from Brandon Walker and put it in the end zone for the 1-yard score. Marco Gonzalez was good on the PAT and the Rams were on the board with 3:41 left in the third.
Both teams managed to squeeze in a few more scores before the game was over, putting the final at 64-14 in favor of the Wolverines.
The Wolverines are in Cumberland Friday for the home opener against Noxapater (0-1). Vardaman will travel to South Pontotoc (1-0). Both games are set to kick off at 7 p.m.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- EDITORIAL: Poor graduation rates August 18, 2016
- Houlka offers dual credit with ICC August 23, 2016
- Sheriff seeks info in cemetery vandalism August 23, 2016
- Crime victims get $3.7 million in compensation August 23, 2016
- Okolona man in custody after high speed chase August 23, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: A quick look around town August 25, 2016
- Lady Hilltoppers struggle at plate August 25, 2016
- Pontotoc rains on Houston August 25, 2016
- MBN makes drug arrest August 25, 2016
- County fire ratings drop August 25, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago