Getting ready for opportunity
Today’s factory announcement comes after the company has carefully looked over a community without us knowing about it and then makes a phone call saying they need our help and are we interested.
Yes, Chickasaw County is interested. And the rest of us need to be constantly doing our part to make sure we have our best foot forward at all times.
Josh West, Three Rivers Regional Economic Developer for Pontotoc, Union and Chickasaw counties, spoke at the Houston Exchange Club last week and hinted that we are in line for some interesting developments.
This newspaper has said repeatedly that Chickasaw County has much to offer as we watched economic development announcements made in surrounding counties. We need to be patient. We need to work hard to land those factories and jobs that fit us best.
West said the national economy has a lot to do with it and companies have recovered from the Great Recession to the point they are now busy looking to expand and build new factories. West also said work on the Hopewell Mega Site in Okolona has developed to the point it is being looked at closely by state, regional and national companies.
A wise local economic developer once said attracting factories and jobs to a region is a team sport. His point was, in this global market, it takes a lot of help from a lot of different places to make a company pick your site. That was part of the reason Pontotoc, Union and Chickasaw counties hired West and Three-Rivers Planning and Development a little more than two years ago.
We would like to point to the Hopewell Mega Site is the perfect spot for the next major employer in Northeast Mississippi.
The Okolona Mega Site has access to both rail and four-lane highways. It is not far from major electricity transmission lines.
Again, with proper development and proper marketing, our time will come.
That is why we – Houston, Okolona and even Houlka and Woodland – need to work to improve our community every day. We never know when a company is seriously looking at Chickasaw County.
As Toyota in Blue Springs and Nissan near Jackson continue to attract suppliers to Mississippi, and Yokohama comes out of the ground in West Point, we need to be ready to move as a team when our time comes.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Houston Trustees approve $847,000 maintenance project January 12, 2017
- JOHN CALVIN: Let’s hope new government will guide us better January 17, 2017
- Orr named Masonic scholar January 17, 2017
- ICC offers manufacturing skills program January 17, 2017
- Houston truck driver killed in Jackson crash January 17, 2017
- Man jumps from Houston Airport tower January 19, 2017
- Body found in Chickasaw County January 19, 2017
- EDITORIAL: Who deserves your vote? January 19, 2017
- 4-H Promotion Day is Thursday. January 18, 2017
- Chieftains roll Green Wave January 18, 2017
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago