By William Moore Daily Journal OXFORD – A Calhoun County elected official is ready to plead guilty to federal extortion charges in order to avoid jail time. District 1 Supervisor Ernest McKinnley Fox, 66, was indicted in December 2015 on two counts of interference with commerce by threat. The Federal Bureau of Investigation arrested Fox […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Emma Crawford Kent Daily Journal TUPELO – Community leaders from across Northeast Mississippi will gather next week to discuss transforming public education and Mississippi’s infrastructure at the CREATE Foundation’s Commission on the Future of Northeast Mississippi State of the Region meeting. Seventeen counties in the region will be represented at the event. The 20th […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA — Okolona’s mayor and city council has unanimously voted to accept the donation of several pieces of blighted property from their owners, and put a number of other landowners on 30-day notice to clean up their land. The action is part of a move by the […]
By Gene Phelps Daily Journal PEARL – An intense Denver McQuary asked his coach, Scott Gann, for the ball Saturday, moments after Houston’s Game 2 loss to Newton County. Gann obliged his senior right-hander Sunday night and it paid off big time as the Hilltoppers won the program’s first state championship. McQuary fired a seven-hitter […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Board of Mayor and Aldermen have cleared the way for voters to once again cast a ballot for or against a tourism tax in Houston. On a motion by Ward 3 Alderman Frank Thomas and a second by Ward 4 Alderman Willie Mae McKinney, Houston aldermen voted […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON — Schools around Mississippi are hosting graduation and have snarled the Mississippi High School Activities Association bracket for the State Baseball playoffs. But Houston is ready to roll at 1 p.m. Wednesday. Friday’s Game Two win over Ripley gave the Hilltoppers their third North Half Championship in a row. […]
Having a corner location for your business, office or company has always been a smart way to make money. The concept is higher visibility and traffic-count make for more customers walking in your door. And every businessman knows you can’t make a sale until they find your business. In urban development circles they are […]
By Logan Lowery Daily Journal STARKVILLE – Every offseason since 2009, Dan Mullen has heard his name associated with just about every major college coaching vacancy. It has become something of a tradition for Mullen to see where he is going to land next. There was Michigan, Penn State, Minnesota, Colorado and Southern Cal along […]
By Parrish Alford Daily Journal CHICAGO – Laremy Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss football coach. Once projected the No. 1 pick in the draft, Tunsil slid to No. 13 where he was taken by the Miami Dolphins. Minutes before the draft a video showing Tunsil smoking something and using […]
By Parrish Alford Daily Journal CHICAGO – Laremy Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss football coach – the biggest story on what was supposed to be a huge night for the Rebels’ program. Once projected as the No. 1 pick in the draft, Tunsil slid to No. 13 where he was taken […]
JACKSON (AP) — The Mississippi Legislature has concluded its 2016 session. The House of Representatives adjourned for a final time Thursday after meeting briefly and disposing of a procedural block on one bill. That measure allows people in designated districts in certain places to carry alcoholic beverages outside the location it was served. In […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Efforts to make major revisions to the pivotal Mississippi Education Program, which provides the state’s share of the basic funding to operate local school districts, were unsuccessful during the rapidly ending 2016 session. Whether those efforts were unsuccessful because of a lack of will to make […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Northeast Mississippi local governments garnered about $3 million in projects in a $249.6 million bond bill that passed both chambers of the state Legislature late Monday. Bond proceeds will be used to pay off the project over a period of years. The projects range from tourism-related […]
By Emma Crawford Kent Daily Journal TUPELO – With a charter school expansion officially signed into law by Gov. Phil Bryant this week, local school district leaders are trying to determine how the changes will impact their schools and students. The amendments to the Mississippi Charter School Act of 2013 allow students in any C, […]
- EDITORIAL: Shop local December 1, 2016
- County discusses CCRCC contract December 5, 2016
- Okolona addresses radio concerns December 5, 2016
- Fuller named to 2016 NMMC All Star Team December 5, 2016
- Locals named to ICC Workforce Council December 5, 2016
- SPORTS ROUNDUP: Prescott earns NCAA honor December 7, 2016
- Fatal fire in Okolona December 7, 2016
- The men in charge December 7, 2016
- Houston falters against Cal. City December 7, 2016
- Bulldogs make St. Petersburg Bowl December 7, 2016
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago