By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – A bill authorizing a tourism tax in Houston has once again been sent to the Senate Local and Private Committee for approval and if passed would allow city residents to once again vote for or against a tourism tax. A tourism tax referendum narrowly failed last summer. […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
JACKSON (AP) – Mississippi’s attorney general says he doesn’t yet know whether he’ll go to court to force Google to comply with a subpoena or sue the Internet giant for violating state law. Democrat Jim Hood said Monday that he will evaluate the current practices of the unit of Alphabet Inc., saying he hopes the […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Making all Mississippi school superintendents appointed, long supported by a wide array of groups ranging from the Mississippi Economic Council to the state Board of Education, was signed into law Monday morning by Gov. Phil Bryant. Of Mississippi’s 144 school districts, 55 are headed by elected […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – It’s not a new problem, but it is one that keeps Houston from having anything nice. Vandals have broken the glass artwork and the information sign at the Tanglefoot Trail gateway on Church Street. The big, new information sign had been up for about a month. […]
By Ray Van Dusen Monroe Journal AMORY – The end of a 15-season era that launched huge musical careers and attracted billions of viewers came down to two Mississippians Thursday, and a 25-year-old from Amory with a dream of giving people a piece of music came out the winner. Since the season premiere […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Chickasaw County school districts consolidation, which looked to be a certainty at one point during the 2016 legislative session, will be delayed until at least 2017. The House, by a 100-16 vote Wednesday, sent to Gov. Phil Bryant legislation to establish a 10-member Commission […]
By Ray Van Dusen Monroe Journal Like celebrity judge Jennifer Lopez predicted weeks ago, Amory musician Trent Harmon will join fellow Mississippian La’Porsha Renae Thursday for the “American Idol” series finale. Dallas musician Dalton Rapattoni was eliminated. In a night of three songs to determine who will be named the last “American Idol” Wednesday, Harmon […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – The merger of the three school districts in Chickasaw County will be delayed for at least a year under legislation that is pending before the House. In the coming days, the House can send the proposal to Gov. Phil Bryant or invite a conference committee with […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – The Mississippi House amended legislation Tuesday by an overwhelming vote to enact a statewide lottery. To enhance their commitment to the lottery, the House actually amended two consecutive bills to enact the lottery. “For 33 years I have served in the Legislature. Every now and then, […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Legislation that would allow students in C, D and F school systems to cross district lines to attend charter schools passed the House Monday. Earlier this session, in the House Education Committee, Rep. Charles Busby, R-Pascagoula, a key charter school proponent, said of the legislation, “it […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – A probable cause hearing to determine if a policeman should be charged with assault following the arrest of a woman outside Houlka City Hall March 3, has determined the officer can not be charged. Chickasaw County Circuit Court Judge John Gregory has reviewed evidence and video […]
By Emma Crawford Kent Daily Journal TUPELO – Eleven Northeast Mississippi superintendents are elected, but a bill on its way to Gov. Phil Bryant to be signed into law would change that. The bill, Senate Bill 2438, mandates that all school superintendents be appointed by their district’s school board. The majority of Mississippi school districts […]
JACKSON (AP) – Voters in some small Mississippi towns could choose to cut their municipal boards from five aldermen to three under a measure headed to Gov. Phil Bryant for him to sign or veto. The House voted 117-2 Monday to pass Senate Bill 2603, which would allow towns of 500 or fewer to choose […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal TUPELO – A Pontotoc man is in the Lee County Jail, accusing of owing $28,000 in child support payments. Joe Oscar Coptane, 35, of Pontotoc, was arrested Monday after a Lee County grand jury indicted him for two counts of failure to pay child support. An investigation by the […]
- Houlka Cornbread Festival set for Oct. 8 August 17, 2016
- JASON BROOKS: CDF thanks picnic area donors August 21, 2016
- HUES names Students of the Week August 21, 2016
- Houston hammering out employee handbook August 22, 2016
- Houlka aldermen briefed on annexation August 22, 2016
- Associate Degrees awarded at ICC for Spring 2016 August 24, 2016
- Lady Hilltoppers down East Webster, 2-1 August 24, 2016
- Houlka buys body cams for PD August 24, 2016
- Okolona man in custody after high speed chase August 23, 2016
- Crime victims get $3.7 million in compensation August 23, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago