By Michaela Gibson Morris Daily Journal TUPELO – A second Mississippi resident who traveled to Haiti has tested positive for the Zika virus. The Mississippi State Department of Health on Friday confirmed a Noxubee County resident had become ill with the mosquito-borne virus. The first case was reported Thursday in a Madison County resident. University […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
By Caleb Bedillion Daily Journal TUPELO – Legislation to renew a state tax credit that supports the preservation of historic buildings has passed the Mississippi House and Senate though a leading preservation organization has concerns about changes to the program introduced by the Senate bill. The tax credit program has reached its funding limit of […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal TUPELO – Northeast Mississippi is under a freeze warning as freezing temperatures and frost are expected to hit the area late tonight and early Monday morning. The National Weather Service issued a freeze warning Sunday for the region saying temperatures are expected to drop to 30 to […]
Daily Journal A prescribed burn is scheduled along the Natchez Trace Parkway in Chickasaw County this weekend. The fire will be at Hernando de Soto today and Saturday, between mile markers 243.2 and 245.9. The burn will help reduce hazardous fuel loadings and restore open woodlands that were historically present. There are no closures anticipated […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Baseball Ripley 8, Amory 3 Amory 12, Booneville 3 Walnut 6, Baldwyn 2 Alcorn Central 10, Hatley 0 North Pontotoc 3, Ingomar 2 Myrtle 8, Blue Mountain 1 East Union 11, Mantachie 1 West Union 11, Vina, Ala. 1 Pontotoc 18, Belmont 1 Houston 10, Louisville 0 Softball South […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Junior Molly K. May, center, was crowned Miss Maroon & White for 2016 during a Thursday, March 10 campus program at Mississippi State. May is a communication/public relations major from Houston and a graduate of Houston High School. She is the daughter of Debra May and Glen Bingham Also selected […]
By Parrish Alford Daily Journal TUPELO – Robert Cleckler Bowden, better known as Bobby, says he embraced a reputation as the coach of second chances during his 34-year run at Florida State. It wasn’t always the most popular approach to coaching football, but it was the right approach, he says, because it was right […]
“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.” First Amendment to the United States Constitution. It is the […]
By Logan Lowery Daily Journal Another NFL hopeful from Mississippi State has been arrested. Former Bulldog and Houston High School defensive lineman Chris Jones was charged with speeding and driving with a suspended license following a traffic stop in Starkville on Wednesday. Jones was pulled over for speeding along Blackjack Road at 2:22 p.m. and […]
By Logan Lowery Daily Journal STARKVILLE – For the second straight year, Mississippi State has advanced to the NCAA Tournament. This time, however, the 15th-ranked Bulldogs will be dancing at home. And on the distant horizon is the defending national champ. For the first time, Starkville will play host to the first two rounds of […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) Fisheries Bureau announced new crappie regulations on Arkabutla, Enid, Sardis, and Grenada Lakes, also known as the Flood Control Reservoirs (FCRs), and Eagle Lake. The new regulations on the FCRs, which became effective July 22, 2015, consist of […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Senate leadership is proposing a $40 million increase in the Mississippi Adequate Education Program, which provides the state’s share of the basics to operate local school districts. The Legislature is in the process of passing the first round of more than 100 budget bills as it […]
STARKVILLE (AP) – Former Mississippi State quarterback and NFL draft prospect Dak Prescott took two inconclusive breathalyzer tests following a traffic stop for speeding on Saturday night. Prescott was arrested and charged with speeding and driving under the influence in Starkville. His first court appearance is scheduled for April 11. Police records state that Prescott […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – A vehicle to develop and pay for a plan to address the state’s and local governments’ infrastructure needs is alive in the legislative process. But at this point all that vehicle – or bill – does is keep all the code sections alive, including all taxing […]
- Getting a good start at school July 24, 2016
- Sundancer finishes first, again July 27, 2016
- Dr. Darrick Whitfield: Don’t be a slacker! July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- Tending to business July 30, 2016
- Praying for peace and unity July 30, 2016
- Okolona trustees approve summer programs July 29, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago