By Addison Arledge MSU Our People At age 19, Chickasaw County native Molly May faced an obstacle most women hope never to confront. When the senior communication/public relations major was 8, her mother had been diagnosed with breast cancer. “I watched her go through treatment and undergo surgeries, all as a single mom,” the Houston […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – They are moving in and that means the building will soon be open to community. The Chickasaw County Heritage Museum is busy moving books, files and genealogical records into their new library and research center located in a new metal building at Joe Brigance Park. “They say you […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – A budget is just a financial road map for a city or business and Houlka has set a course for 2017. Houlka town aldermen met Tuesday, Oct. 4, at 6 p.m. at the Town Hall, covered a short agenda and adjourned soon after, according to […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – Chickasaw County Supervisors are watching spending closely and have amended the 2016 budget and are looking carefully at expenditures as they close out the year. The board formally amended the 2016 budget and while they have money in the bank, they are also eyeing pledged expenses and possible […]
Houston schools are in the middle of Red Ribbon Week and we hope the community gets the message. Red Ribbon Week is aimed at students from kindergarten through fifth grade, and seeks to instill in them the facts that drug abuse is bad, drug abuse hurts people and drug abuse can kill you. Schools in […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – In a season of color, the Chickasaw County Master Gardeners and the Chickasaw County MSU Extension Service will once again present Art in the Park in downtown Houston. Art in the Park will feature the work of special artists and the exhibit will be held in the Master […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Kids know drugs are bad but the temptation to use illegal drugs is strong and they are learning this week how to overcome peer pressure and live life to the fullest without drugs. Students at Houston Middle School have decorated the doors to their classrooms with anti-drug messages […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal STARKVILLE – Mississippi State University has named the graduation list for the 2016 summer term for Chickasaw County with five local students earning degrees. Honor graduates include all bachelor-degree candidates with exceptional scholastic averages and at least half the total required course hours earned at MSU. Their specific levels of recognition […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) reminds political candidates and vendors that campaign signs and sale signs are not permitted on state highway right-of-way. To maintain traffic safety, the following rules govern the placement of signs: According to the Mississippi Code of 1972, it is illegal to place […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal What are the symptoms of breast cancer? When breast cancer starts out, it is too small to feel and does not cause signs and symptoms. As it grows, however, breast cancer can cause changes in how the breast looks or feels. Symptoms may include: • New lump in the breast or […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Finding a lump is a fear most women have, but finding out what that lump might be is the first step to relieving that fear and fighting breast cancer. Many conditions can cause lumps in the breast, including cancer. But most breast lumps are caused by other medical conditions. The […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Mr. and Mrs. Clayton Dodd are pleased to announce the arrival of their daughter, Kinsley Brooke Dodd. She was born on July 28, 2016 at Oktibbeha County Hospital. Kinsley weighed 5-pounds, 6.7-ounces and was 19-inches long. Maternal grandparents are Mr. and Mrs. Jimmy Alford of Houston. Maternal great-grandparents are Mr. […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Mr. and Mrs. Doug Nichols of Houston, would like to announce the upcoming marriage of their daughter Tori Michelle to Jacob Allen Moss, son of Mr. and Mrs. Robbie Moss of Houlka. Tori is the granddaughter of the late Mr. Eunice Gore and Carvie Gore of Houston and Mr. and […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – It was the first event of the year for Houlka seniors who gathered with their parents on Aug. 29 at Houlka Attendance Center school cafeteria for a senior assembly. Everyone enjoyed light refreshments as they listened to presentations by Superintendent Dr. Betsy Collums, Principal Seth […]
- Bulldogs run wild on Ole Miss November 30, 2016
- Turman, Archer inducted to Phi Kappa Phi December 3, 2016
- REV. DARRICK WHITFIELD: How to be wise December 4, 2016
- DAVID HORN: We the people have voted for change December 4, 2016
- Locals named ICC Foundation scholars December 4, 2016
- ICC Band Chickasaw December 6, 2016
- Hair- Kaylee Martin December 6, 2016
- Presents for prisoners December 6, 2016
- Rinehart enters Kappa Delta Pi December 5, 2016
- Locals named to ICC Workforce Council December 5, 2016
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago