Special to the Chickasaw Journal BOONEVILLE – Northeast Mississippi Community College has named local students to its President’s and Vice President’s List for the fall semester. One hundred and ninety-three Northeast Mississippi Community College students achieved a grade point average (GPA) of 4.0 on a 4.0 scale for the 2016 fall semester and as a result, have […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
HOUSTON – Cody and Alisha Spencer are pleased to announce the birth of their son, Carson Grey Spencer. Carson was born at 7:13 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 18, 2016 at Tupelo Women’s Clinic. He tipped the scales at 7-pounds, 9-ounces and was 20-inches long. He is the maternal grandchild of Jimmy Huffman of Houlka and […]
January is the month you decide if you want to run for political office in the city of Houston, Okolona, Houlka and even Woodland this summer. And I do hope those who are still pondering a race for public office will realize if you haven’t made up your mind by now, you will probably only […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal VAN VLEET – A simple fundraiser for Girl Scouts celebrates its 100th year this month with a special sale of Girl Scout cookies at the historic Girl Scout camp in Chickasaw County. A century ago, girls started participating in what would evolve into the largest entrepreneurial training program for girls […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal BATON ROUGE, La. — Magda Aju, of Houston, was recently initiated into The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, the nation’s oldest and most selective collegiate honor society for all academic disciplines. Aju was initiated at Mississippi State University. Only the top 10 percent of seniors and 7.5 percent of […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal PHEBA – Hebron Christian School has released their respective Honor Roll lists for the 2016-17 First Nine Weeks grading period for all classes. Students named to the A Honor Roll and A/B Honor Roll for the first nine weeks are: A HONOR ROLL Jackson Aldridge, Eli Aldridge, Kase Brooks, Steele […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Houston School of Career and Technology Education Center will host a Scholarship and Pell Grant Workshop Wednesday, Jan. 18, to introduce students to the paperwork and path of financial aid. The event starts at 8 a.m. and concludes at 4 p.m. with college representatives available from 2 […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Houston School District Superintendent Tony Cook and Houston Lower Elementary School Principal Robert Winters have released their respective lists for the 2016-17 First Nine Weeks grading period. Students named to the Superintendent’s List scored 93 or above and received all “A’s” on their first nine week report card. […]
MHP Driver’s License hours The Mississippi Highway Patrol’s mobile Driver’s License office will be open in Houston at the WIN Job Center at 210 South Monroe Street the third Monday of each month. They also will be at the National Guard Armory on Highway 32 in Okolona the third Wednesday and the Courthouse in Pittsboro on […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – Buffy Coleman has never met anyone who set out to not be a success. But the nationally know motivational speaker told students at Houlka recently he has met many people who have not been successful in life. “My message is the decisions you make, the goals and aspirations […]
HOSUTON – Cody and Alisha Spencer are pleased to announce the birth of their son, Carson Grey Spencer. Carson was born at 7:23 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 18, 2016 at Tupelo Women’s Clinic. He tipped the scales at 7-pounds, 9-ounces and was 20-inches long. He is the maternal grandchild of Jimmy Huffman of Houlka and […]
TUPELO – Winter weather has hit portions of Northeast Mississippi resulting in various closings including the shuttering of Okolona schools in Chickasaw County. At this point the Okolona schools are the only schools in Chickasaw County closing Friday afternoon. Keep up with all ongoing closings and other winter weather updates right here: • Lafayette County […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – They remembered those living veterans and those who have died at cemeteries all across America on Saturday and in Okolona, too. Wreaths Across America saw its Okolona ceremony begin at 11 a.m. sharp to coincide with the noon ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery and more than 100 similar […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The goal is not to catch kids but to intervene and hopefully given them another reason to say no to illegal drugs. The Houston Board of Trustees has given a second review of a proposed drug testing policy that would screen students in extra curricular activities or those […]
- WEDDING: Kelly/Moore February 19, 2017
- EDITORIAL: Tidy up the Trail February 22, 2017
- Correctional Facility revenue reviewed February 23, 2017
- FLOYD INGRAM: Looking at the future February 23, 2017
- Growing our future with AEST February 23, 2017
- Lady Hilltoppers ready for more February 25, 2017
- MDWFP crappie regulation being enforced February 25, 2017
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Hard work, right living equals singing, dancing February 25, 2017
- A Day Without Immigrants felt in Vardaman February 25, 2017
- Hilltoppers are ready to roll February 24, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago