Special to the Chickasaw Journal The Mississippi High School Activities Association executive committee last week approved the reclassification and division moves for the 2017-19 school years. The new alignment are based on high school student population and both Houston and Okolona moved down a division. Okolona dropped from 2A to 1A and Houston dropped from […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Chickasaw Journal in North Mississippi
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Houston FFA chapter at Houston High School has been recognized in the 2016 National Chapter Award Program from the National FFA Organization as a One Star Chapter. The program recognizes outstanding FFA chapters from throughout the country that successfully complete an annual set of required activities that […]
MHSAA FOOTBALL PLAYOFFS Semifinal Round Friday Class 6A North Clinton 38, Madison Central 34 Class 6A South Pearl 24, Petal 3 Class 5A North West Point 40, Lake Cormorant 7 Class 5A South Laurel 45, Picayune 27 Class 4A North Lafayette 21, Pontotoc 14 Class 4A South Poplarville 42, Florence 14 Class 3A North Charleston […]
America’s next crisis most likely started around the Halloween holiday. Many Americans buy more candy than they give away to the children trick or treating. Since we want to be thrifty and most of us like candy we keep it. We hold on to the candy to demonstrate that we are good stewards of money. […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – Aldermen approved the donation of sick pay to other employees and financing to purchase equipment for the sewer department at their November board meeting at City Hall. The city voted to allows two employees to donate sick days to a town worker recovering from an […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Deep pockets solve lots of problems and Houston High School’s newly formed PTO has a fundraiser aimed at raising dollars and showing a little Topper Pride. Local businesses and the school are selling car tags sporting either the Houston Topper Pride or Topper Nation logos in maroon and […]
STARKVILLE – Maroon used a two-run third inning to take Game Three of Mississippi State’s Maroon/White World Series, winning 3-1-0 against Digi Camo and Gray at Dudy Noble Field on Saturday. With the victory, Maroon claimed the three-team series by a total score of 8-4-2. Sophomore Hunter Stovall’s 3-for-5 day played a big role in […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Aldermen voted 5-0 last week to fill the top post at City Hall and picked Lisa L. Sanford as Houston’s next city clerk. Sanford was one of two finalist for the city’s chief administrator job and is expected to fill the post in early December. “She has an […]
Most of us will sit down to a bountiful Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. Most of us do have so much to be thankful for. The holiday comes at the end of the harvest season. Spring and summer have been good and now is a time to reflect on that bounty as we face the cold gray […]
Five people in Chickasaw County have been arrested for possession of drugs after a week and a half of traffic stops and search warrants. Agents with North Mississippi Narcotics Unit worked closely with Deputies of the Chickasaw County Sheriff’s Department on these cases. During the recent searches and traffic stops drugs such as meth, crack […]
Just two short weeks ago, many Americans took a moment out of their busy lives to pause in remembrance of our nation’s veterans. Some went to local cemeteries, while others attended a variety of local observances across Chickasaw County where they honored and remembered those who bravely fought, and those currently fighting for our freedoms […]
East Webster stopped by Baldwyn. Special to the Chickasaw Journal CALHOUN CITY – Calhoun City built a 22-0 halftime lead and cruised to a 34-6 victory against West Bolivar in the MHSAA Class 2A state quarterfinals Friday. The Wildcats (13-1) will play Baldwyn next Friday in the semifinals with a berth in the state championship […]
- TOPPER PRIDE: Houston High School PTO forms, host fundraiser. November 25, 2016
- Rams looking for continued improvement November 30, 2016
- Egg Bowl notebook 2016 November 30, 2016
- Houlka leaning on veteran leadership November 30, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Shop local December 1, 2016
- Students chosen for Who’s Who at ICC December 2, 2016
- Christmas parades are next week December 2, 2016
- Okolona shines at Lighthouse Classic December 1, 2016
- Okolona airport lands grant December 1, 2016
- HUES names Students of the Week December 1, 2016
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago