The good newspaper should be a catalyst in its community, oiling the efforts of widely varying groups to achieve a reasonably smooth, balanced flow of progress. It seeks to provide coherence to scattered and sometimes conflicting objectives, enabling its community to get a better view of priorities and ways in which joint efforts may prove […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Chickasaw Journal in North Mississippi
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Authorities continue to look for a woman who has not been seen since Dec. 16 and are urging the community to help them find her. Tammy Townsend, 42, was last seen on Carol Drive in Houston Friday Dec. 16 and a missing person’s report was filed Sunday Dec. […]
TUPELO – Winter weather has hit portions of Northeast Mississippi resulting in various closings including the shuttering of Okolona schools in Chickasaw County. At this point the Okolona schools are the only schools in Chickasaw County closing Friday afternoon. Keep up with all ongoing closings and other winter weather updates right here: • Lafayette County […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal CALHOUN CITY – Three men were arrested Tuesday night in connection with a Calhoun City armed robbery. Calhoun County Sheriff Greg Pollan said Quindaris Willis, 18 and Immanuel Glaspie, 18, called the victim and had him meet them at an apartment complex. While the three sat in the victim’s vehicle, […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – The Okolona School Board took steps to upgrade its bus fleet, beautify school campuses and upgrade the interior of several buildings during its December meeting. The district took possession of four new school buses on Dec. 13 and will add the vehicles to its existing […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Authorities have arrested three people on drug charges in two separate incidents on the day after Christmas. On Monday, Dec. 26, officer with Mississippi Wildlife and Game and Agents with North Mississippi Narcotics Unit made a traffic stop on Joshua Melton and Aubrey Edwards on Highway 341 in […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal CHICKASAW COUNTY – The Mississippi Legislature will now decide the details of consolidation to join Houston, Okolona and Houlka school. A report by the Commission on Chickasaw County School Consolidation has been written and heads to lawmakers this week and the Legislature could vote this spring on how Chickasaw County’s […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Three area football players have been named to the 2016 Daily Journal All Area Football Team. Houston’s Johnta Walker, a senior defensive lineman for the Hilltoppers and Calhoun City running back Jesse Nabors were picked to the first team. Both are seniors. Vardaman quarterback Brandon Washington was named to the […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – The Chieftains are playing good basketball as they make the turn toward district play in January. Okolona downed a good Calhoun City team, 96-61, in the Chick-Cal Classic played in Okolona Saturday with a solid one-two punch by letting the big men play in side and watching the […]
Economic news across the country looks good heading into 2017. We hope that news will be good for Mississippi and Chickasaw County this year. Nationally, U.S. Commerce Department numbers showed new orders for factory goods rebounded in October, rising 2.7 percent. That was the largest gain in almost three years and the fourth straight month […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – The decline in wild turkey numbers has gotten the state and a national organization together to talk turkey. The Commission on Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks and the Mississippi Chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation (NWTF), the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) staff discussed the […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – The Chickasaw County School Board, who received bids earlier this year for construction of a new school building to replace one destroyed by fire several years ago, voted to reject the bids at its Monday, Dec. 5 meeting. The board acted because the bids were […]
I was saddened when I saw the report of a group of little children hiding in a basement in Aleppo, Syria. Sadly this is where most of Aleppo’s remaining children are located. They are holding on to life, hopefully another day. Many of us grew up loving the Santa Claus story and honestly, I’m still […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – They remembered those living veterans and those who have died at cemeteries all across America on Saturday and in Okolona, too. Wreaths Across America saw its Okolona ceremony begin at 11 a.m. sharp to coincide with the noon ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery and more than 100 similar […]
- Man falls from Houston Airport tower January 19, 2017
- HISD refines drug testing policy January 20, 2017
- Girl Scout cookies are on sale January 15, 2017
- Body found in Chickasaw County January 19, 2017
- Qualifying begins for city elections January 19, 2017
- Area crappie gathering in big schools. January 21, 2017
- TONY COOK: Let’s pray for our schools January 21, 2017
- ICC Fall graduates named January 21, 2017
- Wilson stepping down at East Webster January 20, 2017
- FLOYD INGRAM: Time for a change January 20, 2017
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago