The Olympics are big news these days. We are excited to see how many medals Michael Phelps and all the athletes will bring home. From soccer to swimming to basketball and so much more, this is such a great world event. Hopefully for a couple of weeks Americans can rally behind our athletes and experience […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Chickasaw Journal in North Mississippi
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Teachers at Houlka and Houston schools were welcomed back to school last week with the Chicksasaw Development Foundation providing a meal and door prizes and the naming of the Manny Davis Award at Houston. Donna Griffin, Career Pathways Experience teacher at the Houston […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal BELDEN – Itawamba Community College will offer two options for a Manufacturing Basic Skills Certification program, the first beginning in August at the Belden Center. The eight-week option will be Aug. 15-Oct. 5, and classes will meet Mondays through Thursdays from 6-9 p.m., and the six-week, […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON (AP) – Mississippi’s two U.S. senators say 19 of the state’s airports will benefit from $20.3 million in Federal Aviation Administration grants awarded by the U.S. Department of Transportation. The Airport Improvement Program grants include $13.8 million approved for runway work at the Jackson-Medgar Wiley Evers International Airport […]
The Itawamba Community College Foundation is committed to providing financial support to Itawamba Community College to keep pace with the ever-changing world of education and technology, as well as to maintain its position as the premier community college in Mississippi. ICC was awarded the distinction of being listed as the sixth best Community College […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal GED prep classes are set to begin in Itawamba Community College’s five-county district the week of Aug. 15. The schedule includes: • Chickasaw County – Houston WIN Center, Tuesday and Thursday, 8:30 a.m.-noon, 1-4:30 p.m., 5:30-8:30 p.m.; EXCEL Commons, TBA. • Itawamba County – Bethel Baptist […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA — The Chickasaw County School Board held a recessed meeting at the County Superintendent’s Office recently and received details and an overview of a proposed building to replace one destroyed by fire almost two years ago. The fire destroyed part of Houlka Attendance Center […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The heat index Friday afternoon was 107-degrees, but by midnight the temperature had dropped to a cool 75-degrees and 80-percent humidity. “We’ve been running 10, 40s (yard dash) after practice every day,” said senior linebacker Tanner Bullock. “This is nice.” Bullock and the rest of the […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Imagine winning the Indianapolis 500, the Daytona 500 or even the Boston Marathon 15 years in a row. It just doesn’t happen in the competitive world of racing – except for a race team from Houston Mississippi. The […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The county has set a price, the city has agreed and even the Houston School District is getting in on the project. The Chickasaw County Board of Supervisors have set a tentative price of $35,952.10 to use their equipment […]
Classes begin across Chickasaw County last week and if you drive a vehicle we expect you to slow down and be ever mindful that kids are back in school. Those big yellow school buses are painted that color for a reason and even a glimpse of that shade should shout caution to any responsible driver. […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal American Legion balls takes the best boys in your neighborhood and turns them in to a baseball team. Houlkas Tyreque Reed and Houston’s Denver McQuary played for the Pontotoc Red Sox in the American Legion League this summer before heading back to college. Reed will attend […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal PITTSBORO – A Calhoun County woman will have to register as a sex offender for the rest of her life after pleading guilty to having sex with a dog. Calhoun County Sheriff Greg Pollan said his department found out about photos of the sex acts being circulated as text […]
Associated Press RIO DE JANEIRO – It’s show time for the U.S women’s gymnastics team, which made a statement in Sunday’s qualifiers by posting a top score that outpaced second-place China by a staggering 10 points. China, Russia, Great Britain, Brazil, Germany, Japan and the Netherlands will look to knock off the Americans, led by […]
- Houlka to take bids for new school August 19, 2016
- Okolona man in custody after high speed chase August 23, 2016
- Houlka buys body cams for PD August 24, 2016
- Lady Hilltoppers down East Webster, 2-1 August 24, 2016
- Associate Degrees awarded at ICC for Spring 2016 August 24, 2016
- Work set for Tanglefoot pathway August 26, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: A quick look around town August 25, 2016
- Lady Hilltoppers struggle at plate August 25, 2016
- Pontotoc rains on Houston August 25, 2016
- MBN makes drug arrest August 25, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago