By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – Okolona Municipal Separate School District trustees wrapped up the summer with a busy slate of decisions in preparation for the start of of a new school year and new school budget. The district held two special called meetings in addition to their regular board meetings […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Chickasaw Journal in North Mississippi
By Floyd Ingram Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Hey, you better check your hay. Chickasaw County Agent Scott Cagle said a number of factors have come together this year to make armyworm infestations a problem in the hay fields of many cattle producers. “They will eat anything, including your gardens and yard and […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA –The City of Okolona is seeking a $150,000 grant to finance major improvements to aging water pipes, which have deteriorated over time, officials said this week. The Small Municipalities and Limited Population state grant is being sought through the Mississippi Development Authority. The SMLP […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – It’s August and Washington has taken their summer break and elected officials have come home to talk politics. Senator Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) spoke at the Houston Exchange Club Friday and Representative Trent Kelly (R-Miss) had coffee with the crew at both Hardee’s and Moore’s Restaurant on Tuesday morning. […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Veteran Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant has caught two touchdown passes from rookie quarterback Dak Prescott in two preseason games. Needless to say, Bryant is a fan. “The guy is a student – you’ve got to give it to him,” Bryant said Saturday night after Dallas beat Miami 41-14 on […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – It’s the premier fall festival in Houston with good food, good crafts, and good entertainment drawing a crowd to the Flywheel Festival each year. Event organizers saw record crowds of more than 4,000 people pack Joe Brigance Park for two days of food, fun and entertainment two years […]
In an effort to increase public awareness of local issues, the Chickasaw journal is pleased to publish a list of local government meeting times and places. All listed meetings are open to public viewing, although public participation may require advance notice. Houston Board of Aldermen • First Tuesday of month. • City Hall in Houston […]
AREA SCORES Thursday’s Games Biggersville 26, New Site 12 East Union 48, Hamilton 0 Walnut 31, Falkner 14 Friday’s Games Amory 24, Saltillo 16 Belmont 22, Mantachie 6 Booneville 13, Baldwyn 6 Caledonia 49, Mooreville 24 Delta 32, Calhoun Academy 12 East Webster 30, Noxapater 10 Ethel 22, Houlka 0 Fairley, Tenn. 20, H.W. Byers […]
All this reminds me of the small girl who said, “Mother, you know that beautiful jug you said had been handed down to us from generation to generation?” Mother replied, “Yes, Ann, what of it?” And Ann answered solemnly, “This generation dropped it.” – Attributed to Herbert C. Hoover. One of the things that a […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Work will soon begin on a pathway from where the Tanglefoot Trail crosses Highway 8 to Downtown Houston. Chickasaw County Road Manager Kenneth Funderburk briefed Supervisors last week saying the details have been worked out with the Chickasaw Development Foundation, Mississippi Department of Transportation and the county. “We’ve […]
Have you noticed something missing in Houston? The Courthouse Clock is not working and not chiming the hour, as it has for more than 50 years. It seems something has broken, the folks who normal fix those kinds of things are no longer around and new courthouse clock repairmen are hard to find. When we […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – It was a tough night for the Houston Lady Hilltoppers on Tuesday as they took the field to face the Amory Panthers in slow pitch softball action. After the Lady Panthers got off to a quick start offensively, the Lady Toppers could not get their […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal PONTOTOC – The Warriors scored first but Houston came right back and matched them. Then it started to rain. The Houston Hilltoppers fell to Pontotoc 24-14 in a rain-soaked affair in Pontotoc that was the season opener for both squads. The rain prompted both teams to go to the ground […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal A second traffic stop in two days has resulted in the arrest of a local man on drug charges. On Tuesday Aug. 24, 2016 Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics Agents and deputies with the Chickasaw County Sheriff Department made a traffic stop on Gary Sullivan on CR 413 […]
- BETTY BRAND: Cemetery need work September 18, 2016
- Counselor Jimmy Hood dies September 22, 2016
- Houston smashes Chargers September 22, 2016
- Houlka falls hard to Potts Camp September 22, 2016
- Lady Toppers roll up Red Raiders September 22, 2016
- Houston to host WMU fall meeting September 25, 2016
- Saturday morning injury clinic for area athletes. September 24, 2016
- WEEK 6: High School Football Scores September 24, 2016
- Is Hillary’s health our biggest problem? September 24, 2016
- Shooting at Randolph Post Office under investigation September 23, 2016
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago