By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – The Houlka Wildcats were back on the court Friday night as they hosted the East Webster Wolverines. And in dominating fashion, both the Lady Wildcats and Wildcats defeated the Wolverines 32-13 and 69-42 respectively. In the opening game, the Lady Wildcats’ defense was on display. […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Chickasaw Journal in North Mississippi
By Ethan Turner Chickasaw Journal WEST POINT – The Houston Lady Toppers and Toppers were back in action on Tuesday night as they traveled to West Point to challenge the Green Wave. And while both teams showed improvement against two talented 5A West Point teams, both Houston squads were defeated as the Lady Toppers lost […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Authorities are looking for a woman who has not been seen since Dec. 16 and are urging the community to help them find her. Tammy Townsend, 42, was last seen on Carol Drive in Houston Friday Dec. 16 and a missing person’s report was filed Sunday. Townsend is […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) Fisheries Bureau reminds fishermen new crappie regulations on Arkabutla, Enid, Sardis, and Grenada Lakes, also known as the Flood Control Reservoirs (FCRs), and Eagle Lake are being enforced. The new regulations on the FCRs, which became effective last year, […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Icy road conditions have been reported in Northeast Mississippi. The Mississippi Department of Transportation said Tuesday morning that there is ice on roads and bridges in several counties. Crews are working to place salt and slag on the affected bridges. Ice has been reported in Alcorn, Benton, Chickasaw, Itawamba, Lee, […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – An eight-game winning regular season winning streak has put nine Hilltopper football players on the Region 4, District 4-4A 2016 All-Region Team. Houston first-year head football coach Ty Hardin lost his first game – a close one with top-ranked Pontotoc – then handed future 2A State Champions Calhoun […]
By Emma Crawford Kent Special to the Chickasaw Journal TUPELO – A grant from the Mississippi Department of Archives will allow the Okolona School District to install an elevator in its elementary school building. The MDAH announced $2 million in preservation grants on Friday, including $117,600 to Okolona. The Okolona Elementary School building was constructed […]
They say the two most widely read sections of a newspaper are obituaries and letters to the editor. And in this season of goodwill I want you to know I would rather see your name at the end of a Letter to the Editor rather than the top of an Obituary. But this newspaper also […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal BLUE MOUNTAIN – An honor society that recognized the top 10 percent of juniors and seniors has been added at Blue Mountain College with two from Chickasaw County named to the chapter. Beth Rinehart, a junior elementary education, K-6 major and Becky Rinehart, a junior history major have been named […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Registration is continuing for the C2C program at Itawamba Community College. Individuals who are between the ages of 16-24 who do not have a high school diploma or GED who want to go to work and are serious about working toward starting a career may qualify. In addition, […]
President Elect Donald Trump must be successful in multiple areas but the following are vital. Americans will be unforgiving in four years if he fails in these key areas. Keep Social Security America is getting older. Fewer Americans have pensions they can count on because factories closed early. Promises were made to many Americans who […]
By Logan Lowery Special to the Chickasaw Journal STARKVILLE – Normally songs such as “Winter Wonderland,” “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” and Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas is You” wouldn’t be used to motivate a bunch of macho football players. But Mississippi State has embraced the sappy holiday music as those three songs and […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Christmas will be here in just 10 days and it will also come to those in prison. The Chickasaw County Regional Correctional Facility through Cornerstone Church is collecting items for their annual Christmas Gift Bag drive and is asking local churches, civic clubs and individuals to think about […]
- Houston Trustees approve $847,000 maintenance project January 12, 2017
- JOHN CALVIN: Let’s hope new government will guide us better January 17, 2017
- Orr named Masonic scholar January 17, 2017
- ICC offers manufacturing skills program January 17, 2017
- Houston truck driver killed in Jackson crash January 17, 2017
- Man jumps from Houston Airport tower January 19, 2017
- Body found in Chickasaw County January 19, 2017
- EDITORIAL: Who deserves your vote? January 19, 2017
- 4-H Promotion Day is Thursday. January 18, 2017
- Chieftains roll Green Wave January 18, 2017
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago