Dear Editor, The liberal slant has hit in Tupelo… “Let’s do all we can to make President-elect Donald Trump look bad”…as in John Wage’s letter (Jan. 17 edition of the Daily Journal) stating/implying that the Tupelo High School band should not go to Washington, D.C. I give credit to Mr. Wage’s criticism of Mr. Trump’s […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Chickasaw Journal in North Mississippi
By the time you read this column the Inauguration will be over. Like it not Donald Trump is your President. Even if you claim he is not your President – he is. If you continue your citizenship in America he is your President. I heard and read reports of people who said they would leave […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal Chemistry is a required subject in high school, a quality on a football team and it happens between boys and girls. Houston High School will host their senior play “Better Football Through High School Chemistry” at 7 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 4 in the Auditorium. “It’s a comedy and it has […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Efforts to consolidate school districts in Chickasaw County are continuing during the 2017 legislative session. On Thursday, the Senate passed legislation to merge the Chickasaw and Houston school districts with 16 senators in the 52-member chamber voting no. But legislation filed this year to merge the […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – A missing person case has turned into a homicide after forensic results were released to the Chickasaw County Sheriff’s Department on Wednesday afternoon, Jan. 25. The State Crime Lab has confirmed that a body found in the Tombigbee National Forest last week is that of Tammy Townsend, 42, […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves said Mississippians have always had respect for law and order and he hopes a new President and bills making their way through the Mississippi Senate will show the need to support emergency responders. Reeves was the keynote speaker at the Houston First Pentecostal Church […]
This newspaper repeatedly has people call and say “We need to do something about _________!” You can fill in the blank. But this Editorial is not about what’s wrong with our community. It’s about solutions. One of the key ingredients in any successful community are those willing to work together for a common good for […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal CUMBERLAND – It was back to the court for the Okolona Chieftains as they traveled to East Webster to face the Wolverines, looking to improve to 19-1. East Webster was ranked 10th in the state prior to Friday’s game and was tight early. The Chieftains dealt with […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – It was Homecoming at The Gym in Houlka and the Wildcat boys and girls basketball team were named King and Queen. The Houlka boys topped Smithville 76-41 and the Lady Wildcats won 55-42. “It was a good night for us in district play,” said Houlka basketball coach Jimmy […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal It was a good night for Houston Hilltopper basketball on Tuesday, Jan. 24 as they traveled to face the Caledonia Confederates. In two important conference matchups for both Houston teams, the Lady Toppers were victorious 67-49, and the Toppers were victorious as well, 51-48. As the girls […]
CALHOUN CITY – The Mississippi Highway Patrol is still investigating the death of a Bruce man who was hit by a car Friday night. According to MHP Master Sgt. Criss Turnipseed, troopers were called to Highway 9, just north of Calhoun City around 9:15 p.m. on Friday. The initial investigation showed Willie Isbell, 47, was […]
By Adam Gore Special to the Chickasaw Journal FULTON – The National Fastpitch Coach Association (NFCA) has announced its 2015-16 Easton Scholar-Athlete honors with several ICC students with local ties on the list. NFCA Scholar/Athletes and their hometown are: • Maura Jane Autry (Holly Springs) • Alex Brown (Pontotoc) • Katie Channell (Vicksburg) • Taylor Cresap (Fulton) • Cassidy […]
- Habitat now Fuller Center February 17, 2017
- Houston drops two to Noxubee February 15, 2017
- BIRTH: Easton Rhett Dendy February 19, 2017
- BIRTH: Swayze Jo Flora February 19, 2017
- County ponders TRPDD alliance February 20, 2017
- One killed in wreck involving ambulance February 21, 2017
- Chickasaw man injured in Shannon wreck February 21, 2017
- Sirens to go off Wednesday for statwide tornado drill February 21, 2017
- ICC names Adult Learner scholars February 21, 2017
- WIN Center offers iPhone class February 21, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago