Special to the Chickasaw Journal Shannon High School senior guard, Jay Dilworth, has been offered a scholarship to play basketball for the Rams at Huston-Tillotson University in Austin, Texas. Dilworth has attributed his basketball success to his basketball skills training from mentor, Stanley Jefferson, from Memphis. Huston–Tillotson University is a private historically black university in Austin. The school […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Blake Morgan Daily Journal HOULKA – Houlka, a state semifinalist last season, hopes it’s primed for a run this year to the championship game of the MHSAA Class 1A state tournament. The Wildcats (25-4) defeated Biggersville 106-95 in a non-overtime, second-round game Saturday at home. They’ll play Piney Woods (20-1) at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – Wildcat baseball has six seniors this spring and a bunch of hungry underclassmen. Houlka lost a lot of talent to graduation and most spots are up for grab this year with only two returning starters on the team. “We have lost some of our pitching but we’ve got […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Lady Hilltoppers are looking to carry the team a little further this spring. “We went to the third round of the playoffs last year and while we lost some key players, I’m excited,” said Houston softball coach Derick Kirby. “Yes, we’re young, but I’m optimistic.” The Lady […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) Fisheries Bureau reminds fishermen new crappie regulations on Arkabutla, Enid, Sardis, and Grenada Lakes, also known as the Flood Control Reservoirs (FCRs), and Eagle Lake are being enforced. The new regulations on the FCRs, which became effective last year, […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Hilltopper baseball coach Scott Gann knows better than to make promises in the competitive Mississippi High School baseball world, but he is pleased with what he has to work with this spring. Houston is the defending State 4A Baseball Champs and roared through the playoffs last year to […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Hilltopper baseball coach Scott Gann of Houston High School has been named NFHS State Baseball Coach of the Year in Mississippi for the 2015-16 school year. Gann was nominated for the honor by the Mississippi High School Activities Association after the 2015-16 Hilltopper baseball team rolled through the […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal VARDAMAN – Tom Ferguson has been hunting duck since his father carried him with a toy gun at the age of three. But this year he bagged his first banded duck. “We lived in the Delta and I remember hunting up and down the levee with my dad,” said Ferguson. […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal CALHOUN CITY – The Okolona Chieftains were back on the court Friday night as they looked to continue their winning streak into the postseason and on this night, claim the district championship. In dominating fashion, the Chieftains defeated the Calhoun City Wildcats 98-76 to claim the district […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal VARDAMAN – The Houlka Wildcat boys warmed up on Hamilton and then took the District Championship game against Coffeeville to claim the Division 4-1A crown this weekend. The Lady Wildcats looked good against a strong Vardaman team, but lost a 35-33 heartbreaker to Tremont in the championship […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Declining wild turkey populations in Mississippi were the topic of discussion among state wildlife officials recently, leading to plans for a harvest reporting system to be unveiled this spring. “Mississippi offers great turkey hunting, but if these downward trends continue, there may come a time when this will no longer […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Hilltopper first baseman Hayes McMullen stands 5-foot-9 and is a big target. McMullen was targeted by the Blue Mountain Hilltoppers last week and will take his baseball career to the next level, signing a National Letter of Intent to play college ball at ceremonies at Houston High School […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – It was homecoming night for the Houlka Wildcats as they played host to the West Union Eagles at The Gym on Friday night. And while the Lady Wildcats were defeated in an overtime thriller 48-47, the Wildcat men were able to take their winning streak […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Toppers and Lady Toppers of Houston were back on the home court on Tuesday night to face the Noxubee Tigers. It was a tough night for both Topper teams as both battled but were both defeated. The Lady Toppers were downed 64-54, and the […]
- HUES names Students of the Week February 21, 2017
- Hilltoppers are ready to roll February 24, 2017
- A Day Without Immigrants felt in Vardaman February 25, 2017
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Hard work, right living equals singing, dancing February 25, 2017
- MDWFP crappie regulation being enforced February 25, 2017
- Dilworth signs to play basketball February 28, 2017
- Houlka eager to break through in Class 1A February 28, 2017
- Health Science teaches care February 28, 2017
- Wildcats step up to the plate February 27, 2017
- College Day at HCTEC February 27, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago