TUPELO – Hunter Atkins, from West Point, finished one stroke ahead of the first-round leader Brandon Walker of Vardaman at the 2016 Pros of Tomorrow tournament at Tupelo Country Club last week. Walker shot a 74 on Wednesday for a two-day total of 141. He shot a low of 67 to take the first-round lead […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – It’s a new day and time for Houston Hilltopper football. With William Cook stepping down as head football coach to join the administration, Ty Hardin was chosen to lead the Hilltoppers this fall. It was an easy fit. Hardin, the former defensive coordinator, for the Toppers […]
By Kyle Alford Special to the Chickasaw Journal WEST POINT – Brandon Walker of Vardaman won the Coke Junior Golf stop at Old Waverly Golf Course with a scorecard playoff on Monday. Walker’s score of 71 tied Hunter Atkins for first place in the boys 16-18 age division, but Walker’s back nine finished ahead of […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal The accolades and honors continue to come to members of the Houston High School 4A Baseball champions with six Hilltoppers named to the Mississippi Association of Coaches All-State Team. Picking a limited number of players from across the state to the team is not an easy job and MAC allows […]
By Kyle Alford Special to the Chickasaw Journal SALTILLO – Brandon Walker survived the heat and found success Monday, June 6 at Big Oaks Golf Club. The Vardaman High School golfer shot a 1-over-par 73 to win the age 16-18 division in the third stop on the North Mississippi Coca-Cola Junior Golf Tour. “Keeping it […]
BOONEVILLE – The City of Hospitality became the epicenter for Hill Country hoops as a group of seniors came to town for their final outings at the prep level. Northeast Mississippi Community College served as a co-host for the twelfth annual Northeast Mississippi Basketball Coaches Association (NEMBCA) All-Star Games, June 4 with the locals putting […]
By Gene Phelps Daily Journal Tony Donald knew exactly what to expect every day he came home from work. His young daughter, Hallie, would be sitting on the couch waiting for him. “She had her bat and was ready to go outside and hit,” Tony Donald said. Hallie Donald, the Daily Journal’s 2016 fast-pitch softball […]
Special to the Chickaaw Journal OXFORD – Starkville High School outfielder A.J. Brown, an Ole Miss football signee, was selected in the 19th round of the MLB draft by San Diego on Saturday. Three other Ole Miss juniors and another signee were also selected on the draft’s third day. Left-handed pitcher Chad Smith, a first-year […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The mark of a great athlete isn’t just how many victories they amass, but how the how the athlete continues to improve and strives to hone their game a daily basis. And improvement is just what Ezra Blissard is seeking as his summer tennis schedule […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal PONTOTOC – Itawamba Community College slugger Tyreque Reed of Houlka tried to keep the Pontotoc Red Sox close early in their game with the Tupelo 49ers in American Legion summer ball. Pontotoc made the most of its last at-bat, scoring three runs in the bottom of the seventh inning to […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – Amory’s Drake Wallace hit a walk-off single to right with the bases loaded to give the North the 11-10, victory in the Class 3A/4A All-Star Baseball Game at Trustmark Park on Saturday afternoon. But Houston’s Denver McQuary, a Mississippi State signee, was named the Most Valuable Player for […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – It was a fitting end to a stellar season. The City of Houston turned out last week to gather at Topper Field to watch the 2016 Houston Hilltopper baseball team get a table full of awards. “The team wanted to do this with the community rather than have […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Zack Edington, 11, and his horse Cupcake, work to secure his stock at the 4-H District Horse Show held at the Chickasaw County Agri Center Saturday, June 4. Edington, the son of Larry and Jessie Edington, of Chickasaw County, was one of more than 200 people in town for the […]
JACKSON — The black and white video, from Madison Square Garden in 1962, is beyond grainy, but you can easily make out that the graceful man in white trunks is future heavyweight champion Muhammad Ali. More accurately, the slender, svelte guy wearing white trunks is the man who would become Ali. On Feb. 10, 1962, the […]
- Nabors named top home improvement store in state July 18, 2016
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Giving your very best July 18, 2016
- Homegrown and Houston proud July 23, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Real men rise above the status quo July 23, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Scott, Hardin honored by ICC July 24, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago