Special to the Chickasaw Journal Zack Edington, 11, and his horse Cupcake, work to secure his stock at the 4-H District Horse Show held at the Chickasaw County Agri Center Saturday, June 4. Edington, the son of Larry and Jessie Edington, of Chickasaw County, was one of more than 200 people in town for the […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
JACKSON — The black and white video, from Madison Square Garden in 1962, is beyond grainy, but you can easily make out that the graceful man in white trunks is future heavyweight champion Muhammad Ali. More accurately, the slender, svelte guy wearing white trunks is the man who would become Ali. On Feb. 10, 1962, the […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Hebron graduate, Clay Griffin Faulkner, has a list of credits from his high school career and can list one more – the annual Franklin Corporation scholarship. Faulkner is a 2016 graduate of Hebron Christian School where he played receiver for the football team, was a shooting guard in […]
By Parrish Alford Daily Journal Ole Miss officials have had very little to say about the NCAA investigation into the school’s football program. Rebels coach Hugh Freeze broke that silence in a big way Tuesday in Destin, Florida, at the SEC’s spring business meetings. He talked about owning mistakes, about his faith in his coaches […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal The summer softball season is underway and Eaton Automotive 12-and-Under Girls kicked it off earlier this month with a 17-0 victory over Houlka. Eaton Auto 1 played solid defense with Aubrey Eaton pitching a one walk, no hitter against Houlka. Hits by teammembers were: Trinity Buggs-2B, BB; Aubrey Eaton-1-2B, 2-1B; […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Hunter B. Moore signed on the dotted line to continue his education and his baseball career last week as family and friends looked on. Moore signed a National Letter of Intent with Mississippi Delta Community College and will attend classes this fall and play ball with the Trojans […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal PHEBA – After a dominating win over Humphreys Academy in Game One of the Mississippi Association of Independent Schools 1A Baseball Championship the Hebron Eagles returned home to try and close out the series and claim the state championship after belting Humphreys 17-3 in Game One on […]
PEARL – Houston’s Tanner Smith pitched a shutout and carried his season record to 11-0 to give the Hilltoppers a Game One win in the 4A Baseball Championship. With a couple of key runs and a dominating performance by Smith, the Hilltoppers were able to defeat the Newton Cougars 2-0 in Game One to take […]
By Gene Phelps Daily Journal PEARL – An intense Denver McQuary asked his coach, Scott Gann, for the ball Saturday, moments after Houston’s Game 2 loss to Newton County. Gann obliged his senior right-hander Sunday night and it paid off big time as the Hilltoppers won the program’s first state championship. McQuary fired a seven-hitter […]
By Gene Phelps Daily Journal PEARL – When a 30-win team loses by eight runs, it obviously wasn’t their day. That was the general consensus around the Houston Hilltoppers’ dugout following Saturday’s 9-1 loss to Newton County in Game 2 of the MHSAA Class 4A Baseball Championship series at Trustmark Park. The decisive Game 3 […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Wes Parker signed his named on the dotted line Monday to play ball with Mississippi Valley State and then turned around and hit two RBIs to help the Hilltoppers win the North Half State Championship Friday night. The Houston outfielder was sought by the Delta Devils for his […]
By Brandon Shields Special to the Journal PEARL – Houston pitcher Tanner Smith has battled adversity before. Behind the junior right-hander, Houston held off Newton County 2-0 Wednesday to take Game 1 of the MHSAA Class 4A Baseball State Championship series at Trustmark Park. “He’s pretty gritty. He got into some jams today and he […]
By Ethan Turner and Floyd Ingram Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Hilltoppers have rolled through the playoffs with a series of 2-game wins and they won their last home game Friday in front of a capacity crowd with hard hitting, strong pitching and then fireworks as they celebrated the North Half Championship […]
By David Wheeler Special to the Journal It’s the MHSAA Baseball Championships and there isn’t a bad team in the bunch as the State Playoffs get underway today at Trustmark Park in Pearl. Scheduled to kick off the day’s proceedings at 1 p.m. is the 4A series featuring the Houston Hilltoppers against Newton County. Houston […]
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Homegrown and Houston proud July 23, 2016
- Eaton Automotive finishes season July 26, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Testing our schoolsEDITORIAL: Testing our schools July 27, 2016
- Sundancer finishes first, again July 27, 2016
- Okolona trustees approve summer programs July 29, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago