By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – The Chieftains are playing good basketball as they make the turn toward district play in January. Okolona downed a good Calhoun City team, 96-61, in the Chick-Cal Classic played in Okolona Saturday with a solid one-two punch by letting the big men play in side and watching the […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – The decline in wild turkey numbers has gotten the state and a national organization together to talk turkey. The Commission on Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks and the Mississippi Chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation (NWTF), the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) staff discussed the […]
By Logan Lowery Special to the Chickasaw Journal STARKVILLE – Mississippi State will wrap up the on-campus portion of its St. Petersburg Bowl preparation this morning. The Bulldogs held nine practices in Starkville and will take four days off before resuming practice at Calvary Christian High School in Clearwater, Florida, on Dec. 22. The first […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – The Houlka Wildcats were back on the court Friday night as they hosted the East Webster Wolverines. And in dominating fashion, both the Lady Wildcats and Wildcats defeated the Wolverines 32-13 and 69-42 respectively. In the opening game, the Lady Wildcats’ defense was on display. […]
By Ethan Turner Chickasaw Journal WEST POINT – The Houston Lady Toppers and Toppers were back in action on Tuesday night as they traveled to West Point to challenge the Green Wave. And while both teams showed improvement against two talented 5A West Point teams, both Houston squads were defeated as the Lady Toppers lost […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) Fisheries Bureau reminds fishermen new crappie regulations on Arkabutla, Enid, Sardis, and Grenada Lakes, also known as the Flood Control Reservoirs (FCRs), and Eagle Lake are being enforced. The new regulations on the FCRs, which became effective last year, […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – An eight-game winning regular season winning streak has put nine Hilltopper football players on the Region 4, District 4-4A 2016 All-Region Team. Houston first-year head football coach Ty Hardin lost his first game – a close one with top-ranked Pontotoc – then handed future 2A State Champions Calhoun […]
By Logan Lowery Special to the Chickasaw Journal STARKVILLE – Normally songs such as “Winter Wonderland,” “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” and Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas is You” wouldn’t be used to motivate a bunch of macho football players. But Mississippi State has embraced the sappy holiday music as those three songs and […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – As the Houston Hilltoppers traveled to Houlka to face the Wildcats, both teams were looking to gain momentum in this rivalry game. In two highly competitive matchups, the Lady Wildcats and Wildcats of Houlka defeated the Lady Hilltoppers and Hilltoppers 44-40 and 56-52 respectively. In […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – It was an intense night on the hardwood as the Okolona Chieftains traveled the short distance to Houston to face the Hilltoppers. In the first game the Lady Toppers were able to control the game and defeat the Lady Chieftains 72-12, but in the nightcap, […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Dak Prescott’s days at Mississippi State might be done but the current Dallas Cowboys quarterback continues to win awards for his collegiate accolades. Prescott is one of only 10 former student-athletes to receive a 2017 Today’s Top 10 Award from the NCAA, which highlights their success on the field, in […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – The big guys dominated inside as Okolona pleased the homecrowd and won their tournament in the B. Ford Shootout Saturday night. The 6-foot-6 Ladarrius Spears was in control and got lots of help from teammates feeding him the ball under the rim. Spears scored 18 points in the […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – The Toppers let this one get away early and they never caught up. A hot shooting Calhoun City team scored steadily and Houston, who came out strong, found themselves playing catch-up as the game progressed. Calhoun City also threw on a press in the second and third quarter […]
By Logan Lowery Special to the Chickasaw Journal STARKVILLE – Mississippi State fans getting new televisions for Christmas can put them to good use the next morning. The Bulldogs will meet Miami (Ohio) in the St. Petersburg Bowl at 10 a.m. CT on Dec. 26 at Tropicana Field. MSU extends its bowl streak to seven straight […]
- Museum hosting scavenger hunt February 13, 2017
- City candidates face March 3 deadline February 17, 2017
- Habitat now Fuller Center February 17, 2017
- Semper Fidelis February 17, 2017
- Deputies make several drug arrests February 18, 2017
- BIRTH: Swayze Jo Flora February 19, 2017
- BIRTH: Easton Rhett Dendy February 19, 2017
- WEDDING: Kelly/Moore February 19, 2017
- Turkey harvest reporting planned for spring February 18, 2017
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Americans need help fast February 18, 2017
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago