By Parrish Alford Daily Journal CHICAGO – Laremy Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss football coach. Once projected the No. 1 pick in the draft, Tunsil slid to No. 13 where he was taken by the Miami Dolphins. Minutes before the draft a video showing Tunsil smoking something and using […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Parrish Alford Daily Journal CHICAGO – Laremy Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss football coach – the biggest story on what was supposed to be a huge night for the Rebels’ program. Once projected as the No. 1 pick in the draft, Tunsil slid to No. 13 where he was taken […]
BASEBALL (MHSAA Playoffs, Second Round) Class 1A Myrtle 6, Smithville 3 TCPS 12, Vardaman 1 West Union 9, Houlka 0 Class 2A East Union 14, Potts Camp 0 East Webster 45, O’Bannon 0 Ingomar 8, Strayhorn 7 Class 3A Mooreville 5, Hatley 4 Alcorn Central 7, North Pontotoc 2 Nettleton 2, Water Valley 1 Class […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal VARDAMAN – After rain postponed the second game between the Hamilton Lions and the Vardaman Rams, the two teams met on Monday evening April 18, for a make-up game that would decide second place in the division. And although the Rams played the Lions close […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – It was senior night for the Houston Lady Hilltoppers, and as they celebrated the two seniors, they also faced a tough opponent with the undefeated East Webster Lady Wolverines in town. Despite a good showing by Houston, the Lady Wolverines were able to […]
(James Ingram / Buy at photos.chickasawjournal.com) Houston’s Scarlett Doss (17) played the game at the plate in addition to her pitching performance against Yazoo City in the first round of the 4A Softball Playoffs Friday in Houston. By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The pitching was there, the hits were there and the […]
Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – It was senior night for the Houston Lady Hilltoppers, and as they celebrated the two seniors, they also faced a tough opponent with the undefeated East Webster Lady Wolverines in town. Despite a good showing by Houston, the Lady Wolverines were able to pull away, […]
By David Wheeler Special to the Journal The season that really counts for Mississippi high school baseball teams is scheduled to begin today, and 39 area schools still have the dream. Best 2-out-of-3 series in all six classifications have their first pitch of the postseason today, with the goal to reach the state championship series […]
Baseball Playoffs FRIDAY’S GAMES Class 1A Hickory Flat at TCPS Biggersville at Pine Grove West Union at Falkner Thrasher at Myrtle Broad Street at Hamilton Houlka at Shaw Vardaman at Simmons JFK at Smithville Class 2A West Bolivar at Strayhorn Bruce at Ingomar J.Z. George at Leland Walnut at Calhoun City Winona […]
Softball Playoffs Play-in Series FRIDAY’S GAMES Class 1A Myrtle at Hamilton, 5 p.m. Vardaman at Pine Grove, 5:30 p.m. Byes: Biggersville, Falkner, Smithville, West Union, Wheeler Class 2A O’Bannon at Walnut, 5 p.m. East Union at Leland Potts Camp at Winona, 1 p.m. Byes: Mantachie, Riverside, Strayhorn Class 3A Amanda Elzy at […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal As the sun fell on Tuesday evening, the Vardaman Rams took the diamond and faced off against the Hamilton Lions in a game that helped decide second place in division 1A. The Rams got on the board first and held a lead for most of […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal NEW HOPE – There is power at the plate for Houston – and the pitching isn’t bad either – at the Hilltoppers head into the final week of the regular season. But Scott Gann’s Hilltoppers are keeping a level head as they trounced a good New […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal GRENADA – As the Houston baseball team traveled to Grenada on Saturday they had two things in mind as they head into the homestretch of the regular season – win two games against the Charger. After dispatching Winona 11-6 in game one, it was the […]
By Ethan Turner Chickasaw Journal VARDAMAN – After a win earlier in the week the Vardaman Rams faced the Houlka Wildcats Friday night for game two. And despite a furious rally by the Wildcats in the sixth inning, the Rams held on for a 4-3 victory. “I think what we really learned from […]
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Learning to smile forever July 19, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Real men rise above the status quo July 23, 2016
- Please clean up the Carnegie Library July 23, 2016
- Getting a good start at school July 24, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago