By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal The first Wednesday in February is a holiday for some college football fans around the country. National Signing Day has come and gone once again and new college players hoping to make an impact next season have signed on with their college choice. For the Mississippi State […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Getting to sign a Letter of Intent to play college football is a big deal and two Hilltoppers inked the line last week. Tanner Bullock signed with East Central Community College in Decatur as a linebacker. Omario Johnson also signed as a linebacker with Holmes Community College in […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – Earlier this season the Calhoun City Wildcats and the Okolona Chieftains met on the hardwood for one of the season’s best games. As Okolona hosted Calhoun City on Friday night, the Chieftains looked to move to 2-0 against the Wildcats on the year and solidify […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – With the season winding down, building and sustaining momentum heading into the playoffs is of the utmost importance. And although both teams started slow against the Lions, both the Lady Wildcats and the Wildcats picked up the pace and cruised to two conference wins for […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Every year is different in high school football because the players are different. And it was that special group of guys who made up the 2016 Hilltopper football team that were honored at the Annual Houston Football Awards Banquet Saturday, Jan. 14. The 2016 squad lost their first […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – On Saturday, Sept. 10, Mississippi angler Don Henson of Southaven went fishing at the Sardis Lake spillway and set a new state record. Hoping to catch a monster catfish, Henson drifted a shad through the current. After fishing about 10 minutes, he noticed his float had disappeared and […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal CUMBERLAND – It was back to the court for the Okolona Chieftains as they traveled to East Webster to face the Wolverines, looking to improve to 19-1. East Webster was ranked 10th in the state prior to Friday’s game and was tight early. The Chieftains dealt with […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – It was Homecoming at The Gym in Houlka and the Wildcat boys and girls basketball team were named King and Queen. The Houlka boys topped Smithville 76-41 and the Lady Wildcats won 55-42. “It was a good night for us in district play,” said Houlka basketball coach Jimmy […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal It was a good night for Houston Hilltopper basketball on Tuesday, Jan. 24 as they traveled to face the Caledonia Confederates. In two important conference matchups for both Houston teams, the Lady Toppers were victorious 67-49, and the Toppers were victorious as well, 51-48. As the girls […]
By Adam Gore Special to the Chickasaw Journal FULTON – The National Fastpitch Coach Association (NFCA) has announced its 2015-16 Easton Scholar-Athlete honors with several ICC students with local ties on the list. NFCA Scholar/Athletes and their hometown are: • Maura Jane Autry (Holly Springs) • Alex Brown (Pontotoc) • Katie Channell (Vicksburg) • Taylor Cresap (Fulton) • Cassidy […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal COLUMBIA, Mo. – Mizzou knocked off No. 25 Texas A&M, 78-76, in an overtime thriller at Mizzou Arena on Thursday night. Mizzou improved to 13-7 this season and 3-3 in SEC play. The victory marked Mizzou’s first home win over Texas A&M since 2005. The Tigers were bolstered by an incredible […]
I watched the Okolona Chieftains run onto the floor before Tuesday night’s game against Calhoun City and had one immediate thought. Who is that guy? I was referring to Okolona’s mountain of a center, 6-foot-6 Ladarrious Spears, who looks just as likely to be an edge rusher going after a quarterback as he does blocking […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal CALHOUN CITY – It was a big night for the Okolona Chieftains as they traveled to face the Calhoun City Wildcats in a huge division matchup Tuesday night. After the Lady Chieftains showed major improvement in the first game against the Lady Wildcats but were defeated 76-28, […]
- Okolona talks fire protection March 17, 2017
- CATHY SPENCER: Teacher of the Week March 21, 2017
- Houston WIN offers iPhone class March 21, 2017
- Deadline for Foundation Scholarships March 21, 2017
- Houston seeks to climb the mountain March 22, 2017
- Houlka names new principal March 24, 2017
- Fishing forecast for area reservoirs looks good March 23, 2017
- Chandler to head industrial development March 23, 2017
- EDITORIAL Severe Weather Awareness Week March 23, 2017
- NMMC offers weight loss for state employees March 22, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago