By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal Throughout the softball season, Houston head coach Derick Kirby’s message stayed the same: “Make it into the playoffs and see what happens.” Well the Lady Toppers made it into the playoffs defeated Tishomingo County and then Northeast Lauderdale after trailing 5-1 in the final inning, the Lady […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Blake Morgan Daily Journal The Houston Hilltoppers have played well all season, but picked the wrong time to play their collectively worse game of the season last Friday, a 27-23 loss to Louisville. The Hilltoppers (8-2, 3-1) had chances to win, but ultimately were not disciplined enough to pull the victory out. “We had […]
Associated Press Here are Mississippi’s top high school football teams in each class as selected by a panel of Associated Press state sports writers. CLASS OVERALL School W-L Pts Prv 1. Tupelo (11) (9-0) 119 2 2. Warren Central (1) (8-1) 98 6 3. Brandon (8-2) 86 3 4. Clinton (8-1) 77 1 (tie) West […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal SMITHVILLE – The Smithville Seminoles didn’t officially clinch their second straight Division 1-1A football title, but they took a big step on Friday night. Smithville (7-2, 5-0) rode momentum in the second quarter to a 54-30 win over Vardaman (6-4, 4-2). “We’ve had a tough stretch of games lately that’s […]
AREA SCORES Thursday’s Games East Union 42, Potts Camp 0 Kossuth 49, Benton Co. 16 Friday’s Games Alcorn Central 47, New Site 16 Amory 48, Tishomingo Co. 0 Baldwyn 52, Walnut 8 Biggersville 38, Houlka 12 Booneville 34, Belmont 18 Calhoun Academy 38, Strider 20 Calhoun City 44, Eupora 20 Deer Creek School 28, Oak […]
FEATURED GAMES (All kickoffs at 7 p.m.) Tupelo (8-0) at DeSoto Central (6-3) Tupelo: QB Ray Sandroni has completed 31 of 52 passes for 399 yards, 1 TD. … QB Stephon McGlaun (injured) has passed for 609 yards, rushed for 288 yards and accounted for 12 TDs. … RB Jaquerrious Williams has rushed for 679 […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Hilltoppers made it look fun and easy, but they had to work at it. Houston downed Leake Central 42-14 in a district matchup that saw the Toppers get on top early and keep the pressure on a strong group of visiting Gators. “This was a very physical […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – With the regular season in the books, it’s playoff time and it’s win or go home. The Houston Lady Hilltoppers began their playoff run last week at home against the Tishomingo County Lady Braves and although the series wasn’t easy – the Lady Toppers trailed […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Noxubee County 34, Louisville 26 Noxubee County and Louisville played a bruising game with Noxubee dinged with four turnovers in a key Class 4A, Region 4 game Friday night in Louisville. Noxubee won its 24th-straight region game but it wasn’t until a game-ending interception by the Tigers that the game […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal CUMBERLAND – The Okolona Chieftains almost pulled off a big upset of a district foe as they traveled to East Webster Friday. And although the game stayed tight for three quarters, the Wolverines pulled away late, defeating Okolona 25-6. It was Senior Night for the Wolverine gridders […]
Associated Press Here are Mississippi’s top high school football teams in each class as selected by a panel of Associated Press state sports writers. OVERALL School W-L Pts Prv 1. Clinton (11) (8-0) 110 1 2. Tupelo (8-0) 96 2 3. Brandon (7-2) 79 4 4. West Point (8-1) 72 5 5. St. Stanislaus (7-1) […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal STARKVILLE – Houston’s Denver McQuary played hard on the mound and at the plate in the Bulldogs fall scrimmage and everybody won. Courtesy of small ball and the long ball, Maroon and Gray played to a 6-6 tie through six innings on Mississippi State’s second fall scrimmage Saturday at Dudy […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – Mississippians traveling out of state to hunt big game this fall need to be aware of a new rule affecting the transport of their trophy. In May 2016, the Commission on Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks passed rules to prohibit carcass importation to protect Mississippi deer from Chronic Wasting […]
AREA SCORES Friday Aberdeen 18, South Pontotoc 21 FINAL Belmont 35, New Site 12 FINAL Biggersville 38, Thrasher 36 FINAL Booneville at Benton County – ppd. until Saturday (wet field) Bruce 8, Calhoun City 50 FINAL Charleston 45, Holly Springs 0 FINAL Corinth 14, Itawamba AHS 24 FINAL East Union 32, Baldwyn 64 FINAL […]
- Houston FFA earns One Star Chapter award November 27, 2016
- Okolona airport lands grant December 1, 2016
- Okolona shines at Lighthouse Classic December 1, 2016
- Christmas parades are next week December 2, 2016
- Students chosen for Who’s Who at ICC December 2, 2016
- Turman, Archer inducted to Phi Kappa Phi December 3, 2016
- Una Thanksgiving December 3, 2016
- Houlka Thanksgiving December 3, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Religion, politics and my wife’s birthday December 3, 2016
- Hunter orange strictly enforced December 2, 2016
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago