By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Hilltopper basketball coach Chris Pettit smiled when asked when is it too late for a Lady Hilltopper Rally. “They’re giving me gray hair,” said Pettit. “This is what basketball is supposed to be about. They never say quit. It’s never too late.” The Lady Hilltopper pulled off a […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Kevin Tate Outdoors Writer Fishermen spending time at Bay Springs, Pickwick and Peppertown are in the crappie business these days, and business is very good. “They’re wide open, especially at Bay Springs,” Clay Coleman, of Clay’s Bait and Tackle, in Tupelo, said. Presentations in almost every case, no matter the depth and location, involve […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal CUMBERLAND – Doug Wilson will step down from the head coach position of the East Webster football team. He will continue to be a teacher at East Webster High School. In his six seasons as the head coach, he had a 57-24 record for the Wolverines. In 2015, Wilson led […]
By Adam Gore Special to the Chickasaw Journal FULTON – The annual Itawamba Community College Leadoff Banquet will be held Monday, Jan. 30 at the David C. Cole Student Service Center starting at 6 p.m. The event will be an opportunity to meet and greet Indian players, alumni, Coach Rick Collier and Coach Justin Bryant […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – It was another dominating performance Saturday night for the Okolona Chieftains as they hosted the 5A West Point and desively dried up the Green Wave. The Chieftains looked to continue their momentum at home and did so in impressive fashion, the Chieftains dispatched of the […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – The Houlka Wildcats opened district play on Monday night as they hosted the Vardaman Rams and notched victory in both the boys and girls game The Lady Wildcats played hard to grind out a win 39-38, and the Wildcat boys won 64-38, and both Houlka […]
For the Houston Hilltoppers, the break came at a good time. Before Christmas, the Toppers suffered a tough loss to Lafayette and head coach Chris Pettit said his team was going to use the break to clean up some things and work to get better. In the second half of the season, coach Pettit and […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – The game stood 14-13 at the end of the first quarter, but the Wildcats turned up the tempo and took control of the game to down Bruce, 83-51 Friday night at The Gym in Houlka. Houlka used smart shooting and grabbed a basket full of rebounds as they […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – The Houston girls used a crushing defense to down the Lady Chieftains 78-14 and then the Okolona boys used the same strategy to defeat the Hilltoppers 63-27. The cross-county rivalry game was played cleanly, with a minimum number of fouls by both sides, but strong defense carried the […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Three area football players have been named to the 2016 Daily Journal All Area Football Team. Houston’s Johnta Walker, a senior defensive lineman for the Hilltoppers and Calhoun City running back Jesse Nabors were picked to the first team. Both are seniors. Vardaman quarterback Brandon Washington was named to the […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – The Chieftains are playing good basketball as they make the turn toward district play in January. Okolona downed a good Calhoun City team, 96-61, in the Chick-Cal Classic played in Okolona Saturday with a solid one-two punch by letting the big men play in side and watching the […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – The decline in wild turkey numbers has gotten the state and a national organization together to talk turkey. The Commission on Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks and the Mississippi Chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation (NWTF), the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) staff discussed the […]
By Logan Lowery Special to the Chickasaw Journal STARKVILLE – Mississippi State will wrap up the on-campus portion of its St. Petersburg Bowl preparation this morning. The Bulldogs held nine practices in Starkville and will take four days off before resuming practice at Calvary Christian High School in Clearwater, Florida, on Dec. 22. The first […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – The Houlka Wildcats were back on the court Friday night as they hosted the East Webster Wolverines. And in dominating fashion, both the Lady Wildcats and Wildcats defeated the Wolverines 32-13 and 69-42 respectively. In the opening game, the Lady Wildcats’ defense was on display. […]
- Houston Students Tour ICC March 20, 2017
- EDITORIAL Severe Weather Awareness Week March 23, 2017
- Chandler to head industrial development March 23, 2017
- Fishing forecast for area reservoirs looks good March 23, 2017
- Houlka names new principal March 24, 2017
- GWENDOLYN PEARSON: Tourism tax and internet service March 26, 2017
- CARA CHISOLM: Get involved in your Library March 26, 2017
- DAR honors two with history awards March 26, 2017
- Ribbon Cutting; Ava Michaels Boutique March 25, 2017
- Medical care answers for America March 25, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago