By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal CALHOUN CITY – The Okolona Chieftains were back on the court Friday night as they looked to continue their winning streak into the postseason and on this night, claim the district championship. In dominating fashion, the Chieftains defeated the Calhoun City Wildcats 98-76 to claim the district […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal VARDAMAN – The Houlka Wildcat boys warmed up on Hamilton and then took the District Championship game against Coffeeville to claim the Division 4-1A crown this weekend. The Lady Wildcats looked good against a strong Vardaman team, but lost a 35-33 heartbreaker to Tremont in the championship […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Declining wild turkey populations in Mississippi were the topic of discussion among state wildlife officials recently, leading to plans for a harvest reporting system to be unveiled this spring. “Mississippi offers great turkey hunting, but if these downward trends continue, there may come a time when this will no longer […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Hilltopper first baseman Hayes McMullen stands 5-foot-9 and is a big target. McMullen was targeted by the Blue Mountain Hilltoppers last week and will take his baseball career to the next level, signing a National Letter of Intent to play college ball at ceremonies at Houston High School […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – It was homecoming night for the Houlka Wildcats as they played host to the West Union Eagles at The Gym on Friday night. And while the Lady Wildcats were defeated in an overtime thriller 48-47, the Wildcat men were able to take their winning streak […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Toppers and Lady Toppers of Houston were back on the home court on Tuesday night to face the Noxubee Tigers. It was a tough night for both Topper teams as both battled but were both defeated. The Lady Toppers were downed 64-54, and the […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal The first Wednesday in February is a holiday for some college football fans around the country. National Signing Day has come and gone once again and new college players hoping to make an impact next season have signed on with their college choice. For the Mississippi State […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Getting to sign a Letter of Intent to play college football is a big deal and two Hilltoppers inked the line last week. Tanner Bullock signed with East Central Community College in Decatur as a linebacker. Omario Johnson also signed as a linebacker with Holmes Community College in […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – Earlier this season the Calhoun City Wildcats and the Okolona Chieftains met on the hardwood for one of the season’s best games. As Okolona hosted Calhoun City on Friday night, the Chieftains looked to move to 2-0 against the Wildcats on the year and solidify […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – With the season winding down, building and sustaining momentum heading into the playoffs is of the utmost importance. And although both teams started slow against the Lions, both the Lady Wildcats and the Wildcats picked up the pace and cruised to two conference wins for […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Every year is different in high school football because the players are different. And it was that special group of guys who made up the 2016 Hilltopper football team that were honored at the Annual Houston Football Awards Banquet Saturday, Jan. 14. The 2016 squad lost their first […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – On Saturday, Sept. 10, Mississippi angler Don Henson of Southaven went fishing at the Sardis Lake spillway and set a new state record. Hoping to catch a monster catfish, Henson drifted a shad through the current. After fishing about 10 minutes, he noticed his float had disappeared and […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal CUMBERLAND – It was back to the court for the Okolona Chieftains as they traveled to East Webster to face the Wolverines, looking to improve to 19-1. East Webster was ranked 10th in the state prior to Friday’s game and was tight early. The Chieftains dealt with […]
- Okolona tightens city policies April 18, 2017
- Man convicted in Okolona shooting April 21, 2017
- Lifecore book drive says thank you April 21, 2017
- GLENN MOLETTE: America and shooting back April 22, 2017
- TEACHER OF THE WEEK! April 22, 2017
- Principal John Ellison honored by state April 24, 2017
- Houston correcting SPED complaints April 24, 2017
- Dollar General Ribbon Cutting April 23, 2017
- Certified Nurse Assistance Class seeks applicants April 23, 2017
- WEDDING: Stone/Fisackerly April 23, 2017
- Winford White: I totally disagree with your schools consolidation...
- Winford White: That is good News for Okolona. Or shall we say, it...
- Winford White: I strongly agree! if someone can afford to pay a T...
- Winford White: Keep up the good works Chickasaw County because th...
- Winford White: Winford White, CPC - Winford's Consulting : It is...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago