By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – As the Houlka Lady Wildcats took their home field last week for an afternoon of softball, they were looking for a big win over the Hamilton Lady Lions. But because of the Lady Lions and their offensive onslaught, the Houlka girls were defeated 12-2 in […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal VARDAMAN – It’s all smiles in Vardaman Friday night, as the Rams lined up to host the rival Houlka Wildcats and were looking to build more momentum coming off a win against Bruce, while the Wildcats were looking for their first win of the season. In an […]
By Ethan Turner Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Lady Hilltoppers were back on target when they took the diamond to face the Corinth Lady Warriors last week. Although the Lady Toppers trailed late in the game, an offensive explosion gave the Lady Toppers all they needed to defeat the Lady Warriors 9-7. “We finally came […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Mistakes cost the Chieftains as the Houston defense grabbed three interceptions early and then kept the pressure on Okolona in the annual Battle of the Creek Friday night. The Hilltoppers scored 28 first-half points but Okolona made adjustments in the second half and made the Hilltoppers work as […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal The Itawamba Community College Bass Club will sponsor a Youth Open Bass Tournament, Oct. 15. The tournament is open to any student in the seventh through twelfth grades. Teams will consist of two students, and the boat captain must be 19 years of age or older. There is no entry […]
AREA SCORES Thursday’s Games TCPS 34, Biggersville 6 Walnut 26, Alcorn Central 8 Friday’s Games Aberdeen 44, Amory 34 Booneville 44, Nettleton 14 Bruce 50, Coffeeville 0 Calhoun City 29, Water Valley 0 East Union 56, Thrasher 20 East Webster 21, Choctaw Co. 18 Eupora 48, Smithville 3 Grenada 14, Lafayette 7 Hatley 33, Hamilton […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal For the fourth time in the last five years, East Mississippi Community College will kick off the football season as the nation’s No. 1-ranked juco team. The Lions enter this fall having won 52 of their last 55 games spanning back to 2011, including separate winning streaks of 25 and […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – After back-to-back losses for the Lady Hilltoppers last week, they were back at it at home as they hosted the perineal powerhouse East Webster Lady Wolverines. And despite some late dramatics, thanks to some timely hits, the Lady Hilltoppers were able to defeat the Lady […]
It appears the Mississippi State rookie might be the starting quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys in their Sept. 11 season-opening game against the New York Giants and QB Eli Manning, the veteran from Ole Miss who’s won two Super Bowls. Veteran Dallas QB Tony Romo is out with yet another back injury and it’s unknown […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal SPRINGVILLE – South Pontotoc’s defense pitched a second-half shutout and caused four turnovers as the Cougars took down Okolona at home, 28-18, on Friday. “I’m extremely proud of these kids,” said coach Michael Bradley. “They made some plays tonight, and I was happy to see that when adversity hit us […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – It was a defensive showcase for the Hilltoppers Friday night at home against Calhoun City. Thanks to stifling, hard-hitting defense and an opportunistic offense, the Hilltoppers defeated a highly-ranked Wildcat team, 21-7. “The win was huge, my first,” said Houston coach Ty Hardin. “Last week […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal (AP) – Here are Mississippi’s top high school football teams in each class as selected by a panel of Associated Press state sports writers. Class Overall 1. Brandon (10) (2-0) 133 — 2. Clinton (5) (2-0) 132 — 3. Starkville (1) (2-0) 103 […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Veteran Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant has caught two touchdown passes from rookie quarterback Dak Prescott in two preseason games. Needless to say, Bryant is a fan. “The guy is a student – you’ve got to give it to him,” Bryant said Saturday night after Dallas beat Miami 41-14 on […]
AREA SCORES Thursday’s Games Biggersville 26, New Site 12 East Union 48, Hamilton 0 Walnut 31, Falkner 14 Friday’s Games Amory 24, Saltillo 16 Belmont 22, Mantachie 6 Booneville 13, Baldwyn 6 Caledonia 49, Mooreville 24 Delta 32, Calhoun Academy 12 East Webster 30, Noxapater 10 Ethel 22, Houlka 0 Fairley, Tenn. 20, H.W. Byers […]
- Okolona battles but nipped by Wolverines October 19, 2016
- BIRTH: Kinsely Brooke Dodd October 23, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Lawmakers “examine” MAEP funding October 23, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: The killing of public education October 23, 2016
- Find a lump? Find out what it is! October 24, 2016
- Lady Toppers close successful season October 26, 2016
- Toppers ready for Noxubee October 25, 2016
- AP POLL: Mississippi High School Football Rankings, Oct. 25 October 25, 2016
- Collision kills two near Vardaman October 25, 2016
- MSU names Summer 2016 graduates October 25, 2016
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago