By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal GRENADA – As the Houston baseball team traveled to Grenada on Saturday they had two things in mind as they head into the homestretch of the regular season – win two games against the Charger. After dispatching Winona 11-6 in game one, it was the […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Ethan Turner Chickasaw Journal VARDAMAN – After a win earlier in the week the Vardaman Rams faced the Houlka Wildcats Friday night for game two. And despite a furious rally by the Wildcats in the sixth inning, the Rams held on for a 4-3 victory. “I think what we really learned from […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – the Houlka Lady Wildcats don’t hold grudges, but they always look for a chance to settle the score. The Houlka Lady Wildcats took to the diamond last week against the Hickory Flat Lady Rebels for the second time this season looking to avenge an early […]
By Logan Lowery Daily Journal STARKVILLE – Mississippi State climbed to No. 2 in the D1baseball.com national rankings on Monday after its weekend series win at previously top-ranked Florida. The Diamond Dogs (23-9-1), No. 5 a week ago, snapped the Gators’ 29-game winning streak at home with 10-4 and 2-1 victories on the final two […]
Baseball Pine Grove 13, Blue Mountain 1 Oxford 17, West Point 1 Alcorn Central 11, Booneville 2 Myrtle 18, Hickory Flat 2 Tishomingo County 4, Pontotoc 1 Ingomar 14, Mantachie 4 Ripley 10, New Albany 0 Mooreville 11, New Site 1 Houston 10, Caledonia 5 North Pontotoc 15, Nettleton 0 Tupelo 3, Hernando 2 TCPS […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Coming off of a division win over Amory to close out the previous week, the Houston Lady Toppers were once again in division play as they hosted the Itawamba AHS Lady Indians Tuesday evening. With an impressive offensive showing and solid pitching and […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal It has been a tough week for the Houlka Wildcats baseball team as the dropped two games to a tough Hamilton Lions crew. After being defeated by the Hamilton Lions on Tuesday, 19-1, the two teams primed for a rematch Friday evening. Unfortunately for the […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal OXFORD – After defeating the Oxford Chargers in walk-off fashion last week, the Houston Hilltoppers traveled to Oxford Saturday for an anticipated rematch but this time got the short end of the stick. The game was tight throughout, but because of some late-inning mistakes, the […]
By David Wheeler Special to the Chickasaw Journal Two-team baseball races in Class 4A at this point on the calendar appear to be the norm in Northeast Mississippi. In Division 1-4A, its competitive history has been one of down-to-the-wire battles for postseason qualification between four to five teams. There is a bit more space in […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HATLEY – After a mid-week win, the Houlka Wildcats were looking to make it two for two as they traveled to Hatley to face the Tigers on the diamond Saturday afternoon. The Wildcats had a fast start and jumped out ahead, but the Wildcats faltered […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal TREMONT – Following a division win against Tremont on Tuesday, the Vardaman Rams returned to the diamond on Thursday to face Tremont once more. And thanks to great hitting and explosive offense, the Rams dominated the Eagles 18-5 in five innings. The Rams fell behind in the first […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – It was close, but Houston pulled off the win and showed they can play with the big boys. The 4A Hilltoppers downed the 5A Oxford Chargers, 6-5, in a game that pitted two of the state’s best baseball teams against one another. And […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Coming off a solid performance during Spring Break, the Houston Lady Hilltoppers were back on the diamond in a Monday make-up game against the Mooreville Lady Troopers. Unfortunately, because of costly mistakes in the early stages of the game, the Lady Toppers fell […]
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Support for Solar Car July 22, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago