By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Legislation providing state funds to allow students to attend private schools passed the House Education Committee Thursday via voice vote. The bill is expected to be one of the most contentious considered during the legislative session. Rep. Joel Bomgar, R-Madison, said the proposal “extends educational opportunity […]
Tag Archives | Accountability
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal CHICKASAW COUNTY — Chickasaw and Okolona school district officials said they were satisfied with the recently-released Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC) test results, but added they are continuing to seek improvement. Third to eighth grade students took the language and math tests […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Houston school trustees were given a brief snapshot of school test scores and will soon receive detailed information on how the district did on state tests. Houston Superintendent Tony Cook said the district did well in some areas but needs to improve in others and plans are […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Houston Board of Trustees hired Amory School District Superintendent Tony Cook last week as the next leader of the Houston School District. Trustees, meeting in executive session, voted to hire Cook to replace longtime Houston superintendent Dr. Steve Coker whose contract was not renewed by the […]
HOUSTON – The Houston School board voted unanimously not to renew the contract of long-time Houston School District Superintendent Dr. Steve Coker at a special called meeting Tuesday night, Dec. 16. On a motion by Trustee Carol Byrne and a second by Trustee Marvin Beard the board voted 5-0 with Board President Daniel Herringa, outgoing […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Mississippi Board of Education Chair Wayne Gann of Corinth and state Superintendent of Education Carey Wright issued statements Friday defending the enactment of national Common Core academic standards after Gov. Phil Bryant called them “a failed program.” In a statement released Friday, Gann, the former superintendent […]
HOULKA – Chickasaw County School Board trustees took a long hard look at student test scores and have set goals to bring them up. Houlka Attendance Center was ranked a “D” in the 2013 statewide accountability rankings and this grade prompted staff and trustees to immediately begin strategic planning to bring that score up. “We […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – It was a year full of news at the Tanglefoot Trail opened and voters went to the polls to elect city officers. More than 10 years or planning, preparation and construction culminated this fall with the opening of the Tanglefoot Trail that stretches 44-miles from Houston to New Albany. The Trail – […]
- ICC concert choir performs Monday October 16, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Demanding excellence October 20, 2016
- Fall Fun and Games Day is Friday October 20, 2016
- Number 8! October 20, 2016
- Houlka reviews preliminary test scores October 21, 2016
- BIRTH: Kinsely Brooke Dodd October 23, 2016
- WEDDING: Nichols/Moss October 23, 2016
- Houlka hosts senior assembly October 22, 2016
- WEEK 10: High School Football Scores October 22, 2016
- What color is homelessness? October 22, 2016
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...