Henry and Beverly Easley of Calhoun City are proud to announce the engagement of their daughter, Lindsey Brooke Easley, to Casey Wayne Smith, son of Ricky and Janet Smith of Houston. The bride-elect is the granddaughter of Patricia Baker and the late Bill Baker of Calhoun City and the late Howard and Ruby Easley of […]
Tag Archives | Agriculture
Halloween is over and that means next stop is Thanksgiving. I noticed several churches in the area are doing some kind of “Days of Thanksgiving” countdown to Nov. 28. Life is hard, but a quick look around shows we truly do have a lot to be thankful for in Chickasaw County. I get so fed […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – Farmers planted late and harvested late, but the crop looks good for most commodities this fall. A late spring delayed planting for just about all crops this year, but a moderate summer without too much rain or heat, allowed fruit to fill out and most fields are sporting good yields in soybeans, […]
HOUSTON – 4-H has a history of developing youth potential and providing “hands-on” educational programs. The Chickasaw County 4-H Chapter includes leadership development, life skills training, developing positive self-esteem and empowering volunteers in all activities. Programs are delivered through local county Extension offices to volunteer leaders. “We have 190 enrolled in the local 4-H program […]
HOUSTON – Farmers do live a little closer to the Earth and understand the big picture. But agriculture is also a business and farmers often need a little help to make a profit. The Natural Resources Conservation Service links sustainable agriculture practices with programs and policies that conserve and protect the nations soil, water and […]
HOUSTON – There are 112 days until Christmas but it looks like a good holiday season is in store for area farmers with local crops doing well and prices holding steady for ag commodities. But it is farming and there will be several sunrises and sunsets before harvest is complete and the check is in […]
I’ve always been told it takes 60 days from the time you plant a tomato to the time you can start harvesting fruit. If you do the math that means those of you that planted the end of April should be serving bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches this week. Yes, I know some of you […]
HOUSTON – Local 4-H members recently competed at the 2013 Dixie National Junior Round-Up livestock earning a number of ribbons and one taking home a college scholarship. Nicole Abrams was awarded the Dixie National Sale of Champions Scholarship by Gov. Phil Bryant and Commissioner of Agriculture and Commerce Cindy Hyde-Smith at the nationally known event […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – While most of us are contemplating when to plant tomatoes, much bigger decisions have been made by local farmers on what crops to sow this spring. The U.S. government keeps up with what farmers across the nation expect to plant each year in an effort to monitor the nation’s food supply, set […]
INDIANAPOLIS- Members of the Houston FFA Chapter in Mississippi were one of 30 teams participating in the National FFA Food Science and Technology Career Development Event (CDE). The event was held in conjunction with the 85th National FFA Convention in Indianapolis, Ind. The team, led by advisor Karen Cook, was awarded a Bronze emblem. Members […]
- Okolona approves tutorial services, signs promissory note October 18, 2016
- WEEK 10: High School Football Previews October 21, 2016
- POLICE ROUNDUP: Charges upgraded following fatal accident October 21, 2016
- What color is homelessness? October 22, 2016
- WEEK 10: High School Football Scores October 22, 2016
- Houston seeks to improve attendance October 24, 2016
- BREAST CANCER: Know your foe October 24, 2016
- Find a lump? Find out what it is! October 24, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: The killing of public education October 23, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Lawmakers “examine” MAEP funding October 23, 2016
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...