By Parrish Alford Daily Journal OXFORD – Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze said Monday he wasn’t sure what his star defensive tackle’s status would be for the Sugar Bowl. Robert Nkemdiche released a statement through the athletics media relations office on Tuesday and made it clear he hopes to play in what is expected to […]
Tag Archives | Atlanta
HOUSTON – Two local student athletes made a trip to Atlanta, Ga., recently for the World Wood Bat National Championship and they were in good company. Houston’s Luke Hancock and Tanner Smith joined over 3,500 players from 184 teams in the pool-play tournament. The boys play with the P360 Elite 15U team based out of […]
HOUSTON – Austin Marshall has always planned to live life to the fullest and now he has a little help. Marshall, a Houston native and senior at Mississippi State University, was raised as a normal child but his blindness presented challenges as he moved about this world. “My parents raised me as a sighted child […]
A summer storm Sunday afternoon saw dime-size hail reported in Houston and larger hail falling in Anchor. Linda Griffin, Director of the Chickasaw County Emergency Management Agency, golf-ball size hail was reported in Anchor with minor damage reported to buildings, cars and gardens. “There were a few vehicles reporting damage and the skylight at the […]
By Robbie Ward Daily Journal TUPELO – Tupelo Police Sgt. Gale Stauffer’s widow and mother joined hands Sunday morning as they entered the BancorpSouth Arena to gather in a circle with other family and Tupelo police officers to pray. Minutes later, they stood alongside FBI Special Agent in Charge for Mississippi Daniel McMullen as he […]
TUPELO – Joseph Webster “”Joe”” Gary, 86, born, April 4, 1927, in Byram to Albert West Gary and Allie Robinson Gary went to be with his Lord and Savior on Saturday, Dec. 21, 2013, after a lengthy battle with cancer. He passed away peacefully, surrounded by his daughters, Lynn and JoAnn, as well as extended […]
HOUSTON – Top talent from around Northeast Mississippi performed beyond expectations Saturday at the inaugural Chickasaw County Instrumental Festival at Joe Brigance Park. The stage saw musicians from Tupelo, Atlanta, Ole Miss and Itawamba Community College wow the crowd with their ability to play just about everything from a steel drum and bass guitar to […]
by Leslie Criss NEMS Daily Journal It was 1967, and our smal l-town Mississippi lives seemed peaceful, though we were in the midst of a war in a place called Vietnam. Our days were divided, unevenly, between learning in classrooms and playing hard during recess. At night, we watched family-friendly TV, some of us still […]
ATLANTA – Bessie Gilliam, a native of Okolona, died Sunday, April 28, 2013, in Atlanta. Services will be today in Atlanta. Visitation will be from 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday at St. Episcopal Church in Okolona. Burial will be at 4 p.m. Saturday in Odd Fellows Cemetery. Williams Memorial of Okolona is in charge of […]
ATLANTA – Bessie Gilliam died Sunday, April 28, 2013, in Atlanta, Ga. Arrangements are incomplete and will be announced later by Williams Memorial Funeral Home of Okolona.
HOUSTON – He grew up in Chickasaw County but his music and his message is aimed at an audience that has grown to become the largest concert tour in the world each winter. NewSong drummer Jack Pumphrey was raised in Houston and he will take the stage at Winter Jam in Tupelo Thursday night along […]
- Houston considers summer street projects January 13, 2017
- Houston truck driver killed in Jackson crash January 17, 2017
- Okolona man charged in Amory armed robbery January 17, 2017
- Houlka sweeps Rams to start division play January 18, 2017
- Chieftains roll Green Wave January 18, 2017
- ICC hosts Leadoff Banquet January 19, 2017
- Houlka mourns death of former mayor January 19, 2017
- Qualifying begins for city elections January 19, 2017
- Man jumps from Houston Airport tower January 19, 2017
- Body found in Chickasaw County January 19, 2017
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...