By Bobby Harrison Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – The Mississippi House, by a 62-43 vote, sent back to the Senate on Tuesday legislation that would merge the three Chickasaw County school districts – Houston, Okolona and Chickasaw. Earlier this session the Senate passed a bill to merge Chickasaw and Houston, but to exclude […]
Tag Archives | Barker
By Bobby Harrison Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – The Okolona School District will be merged with the Houston and Chickasaw County districts under legislation that passed the House Education Committee Tuesday morning. The bill passed the Senate earlier this session merging the Houston and Chickasaw districts, but leaving Okolona as a free-standing system. […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Chickasaw County school districts consolidation, which looked to be a certainty at one point during the 2016 legislative session, will be delayed until at least 2017. The House, by a 100-16 vote Wednesday, sent to Gov. Phil Bryant legislation to establish a 10-member Commission […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – The merger of the three school districts in Chickasaw County will be delayed for at least a year under legislation that is pending before the House. In the coming days, the House can send the proposal to Gov. Phil Bryant or invite a conference committee with […]
By Emma Crawford Kent Daily Journal TUPELO – A bill that proposes consolidation of the Houston, Chickasaw County and Okolona school districts has reached the House Education Committee in the Legislature. The bill would combine nine schools – Houlka Attendance Center, Houston High School, Houston Lower Elementary, Houston Upper Elementary, Houston Middle School, Houston Vocational […]
by Crystel Ellison Houston Lower Elementary School HOUSTON – Priscilla Barker, a local singer and songwriter, motivated and entertained students at Houston Lower Elementary School’s January monthly assembly. “Her songs are so uplifting, and her life is a testimony of working hard to pursue your dreams,” said Karen Estes, HLES speech teacher. Barker, 18, graduated […]
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Preserving life, a little longer March 18, 2017
- Lady Rams fight for comeback win March 22, 2017
- Extra Innings! March 22, 2017
- McQuary throws in SEC tilt March 22, 2017
- Two arrested, charged in Clay County murders March 22, 2017
- Ribbon Cutting; Ava Michaels Boutique March 25, 2017
- Medical care answers for America March 25, 2017
- Truck recovered in Pontotoc March 24, 2017
- Manufacturing skills class offered March 24, 2017
- Houlka names new principal March 24, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...