By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Legislation to make all superintendents in the state appointed, long advocated by various groups, appears to be on the verge of becoming a reality. On Friday, the House Education Committee passed without any debate a Senate bill that would replace the state’s elected superintendents. If the […]
Tag Archives | Betsy Collums
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – As the new Houlka Attendance Center rises from the ashes, Chickasaw County School Board Trustees went about the normal business of starting school and educating children this fall. During its Tuesday, Aug. 4, meeting Trustees heard details of a proposed new building to replace […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – The Houlka School District is now cleaning the site of a fire that destroyed part of Houlka Attendance Center – the district’s only school — in July, 2014, Superintendent Betsy Collums said this week. Although the fire-gutted remnants of the building are being knocked […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – The Houlka School District is moving closer to cleaning the site of a fire that destroyed part of Houlka Attendance Center – the district’s only school — in July, 2014, but it’s been a process mired in red tape, Superintendent Betsy Collums said recently. […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – School is out and hundreds of kids who might go hungry in Chickasaw County during the summer break will get two good meals a day. Schools in Okolona and Houlka have embarked on a federal program this week that will see kids 18 and under who were in school last spring get […]
HOUSTON – State law requires parents to prove they live in a school district before they enroll a child in school. The Mississippi State Board of Education is reminding parents that falsely giving residency information is a misdemeanor and conviction can see the parent or guardian fined. Several cities in Mississippi have passed ordinances making […]
FULTON – Mitch Turner of Pontotoc has been elected chairman of the Itawamba Community College Board of Trustees for 2014. Other officers include Carl Comer of Fulton, first vice chairman; Alford Bell of Houston, second vice chairman; William Shack of Tupelo, secretary; and Eden Martin of Prairie, immediate past chairman. Also serving on ICC’s Board […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – School districts with elected superintendents would vote this November on whether to switch to an appointed superintendent under legislation passed Thursday by the House Education Committee. The effort is the latest attempt to change the governance structure of Mississippi’s public school districts. The state currently has […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – Grades for all three Chickasaw County schools are not where local educators want them to be, but there have been improvements. District scores for both Houston and Okolona school district moved up a letter grade this year with Houston getting a “C” and Okolona getting a “D” on state accountability rankings. Chickasaw […]
HOULKA – Student handbooks at Chickasaw County Schools will reflect the new state law requiring all Mississippi third graders to read at the third grade level next May or not be promoted. Chickasaw County School Superintendent, Dr. Betsy Collums, told trustees last week the new law would not have had a major affect on Chickasaw […]
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Solar Team trekking north in Solar Challenge 2016 July 21, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Dr. Darrick Whitfield: Don’t be a slacker! July 27, 2016
- Sundancer finishes first, again July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...