I do my best to write a column that will have some interest to the readers but mainly some humor that will at least make the readers as well as the columnist smile. Today, as I got up and took an insulin shot and another one after lunch, I decided that I was going to […]
Tag Archives | billy McCord
The weather is absolutely beautiful, marred only by having to move the clocks back one hour this morning. I do not like the time change at all because it provides too much darkness as far as I am concerned. I realize that it may be because I am getting old and grouchy. Even if that […]
For 35 years, I watched the weather and worried about tornadoes hitting a school while the students were present. Those of us who have ever worked in public schools know the awesome responsibility we have of protecting the most precious possession that people have, their children. The thing I always feared most happened on November […]
Have you ever listened to all the fussing and fuming from people about our country? I refer to citizens who cannot find anything good about the U.S.A. Before I go any further, I also have complaints, but when I count the value of U.S. citizenship I cease my mumbling and give thanks to God that […]
I have received a lot of comments concerning the “truck wagon”, made by my father, and the blessed old goat that my cousin and I had. We did train him to pull the wagon and did not have to train him to butt anyone with their back turned. I probably do not have to tell […]
Someone asked me a very touchy question. “How are your tomatoes doing?” I wish I could have said, “Each tomato I pick and slice hangs off every side of a slice of bread.” Rather I said, “Fine. The plants are nice and green and each tomato I pick is a least as big as tennis […]
Thanks to my readers for wanting to know more about my college roommate at Wood Junior College, Hassan Edjlai. Hassan was from Iran having been sent to Wood by the government of Iran. He was to go to Wood two years and then go to Mississippi State to earn a BS degree in Engineering. His […]
Several weeks ago I promised an article entitled, “This Old House.” It was delayed because I just found it harder to do than I expected. In 1947 my grandfather and grandmother were living in a fairly large frame house with a wide dog-trot to divide the house. The house was located in the extreme northern […]
I have seen some interesting bear stories on Facebook lately. One of the stories featured a bear chasing a hunter up a tree. It was told to be the truth although I have some healthy doubts. After reading about the bear I was reminded of a bear story coming out of Calhoun County many years […]
It was the summer of 1984 and we were living in DeSoto County. I developed a sore throat and visited a friend of mine who is a doctor. The doctor was always very diligent to check out the patient’s complaints. During this visit he ordered a red and white blood count as well as a […]
Not many weeks ago, I fussed about the cold weather bothering my plants and how uncomfortable the cold was. I wished for warmer weather and some sunshine. I was not alone because I heard a number of people doing the same thing. We quickly got warmer weather and some sunshine. In fact we got some […]
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Homegrown and Houston proud July 23, 2016
- Eaton Automotive finishes season July 26, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Testing our schoolsEDITORIAL: Testing our schools July 27, 2016
- Sundancer finishes first, again July 27, 2016
- Okolona trustees approve summer programs July 29, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...