HOUSTON – People are dying to get in the Houston City Cemetery, but now they are going to have to start paying for it. The Houston Board of Mayor and Aldermen tabled an ordinance that will set up fees for lots, maintenance by the city and detailing the order and policy of the property at […]
Tag Archives | Cemetery
History comes alive next week with a fundraiser by the Chicksasaw County Historic and Genealogical Society bringing back notable residents to tell about their life and times in the community. The Chickasaw County Historic and Genealogical Society is putting on “Voices of Yesteryear” a cemetery walk with characters in period dress depicting those buried […]
OKOLONA – The GFWC-MFWC Lanier Club of Okolona has once again sponsored “Wreaths Across America” for the Odd Fellows Cemetery and will host a special ceremony on Saturday. The club sold wreaths through Nov. 20 in honor or in memory of military veterans and active service personnel. The wreaths will be placed on veteran’s graves […]
The GFWC-MFWC Lanier Club of Okolona will once again sponsor “Wreaths Across America” for the Odd Fellows Cemetery. The club will sell wreaths for $15 each through Nov. 20 in honor or in memory of military veterans and active service personnel. The wreaths will then be placed on veteran’s graves in the Odd Fellows Cemetery […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – Private John Wiggs was born Western Chickasaw County, fought in the Civil War and was one of the lucky ones who returned home and lived the rest of his life among family and friends. There are still many Wiggs in that part of the county and many can trace their roots […]
HOUSTON — Some view graveyards as dreary places, but a group of Chickasaw County volunteers feels one of the community’s oldest and most visible cemeteries doesn’t need to be that way. Helen Pettit and her family and friends spent the better part of a week clearing brush, trimming around gravestones and cutting back fence-lines at […]
Ivy manages different hats in home town Editor’s Note: This is the third of four articles on area women making a difference in their community. OKOLONA – For Stelle Ivy, Okolona is the place to be. “I was born and raised here, graduated in 1973,” Ivy said of her home town. After attending […]
CALHOUN COUNTY – A Slate Springs man was allegedly stabbed and run over by a vehicle at a rural cemetery Wednesday afternoon, prompting the arrest of two people on aggravated assault charges. Calhoun County Sheriff Greg Pollan said the incident began after the husband confronted his wife and another man at Moreland Cemetery near Slate […]
- Dendy’s named Man, Woman of the Year July 17, 2016
- Nabors named top home improvement store in state July 18, 2016
- Tiny Houses July 16, 2016
- Solar Team trekking north in Solar Challenge 2016 July 21, 2016
- Houston’s Kinard honored by PTK July 21, 2016
- Please clean up the Carnegie Library July 23, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Real men rise above the status quo July 23, 2016
- Homegrown and Houston proud July 23, 2016
- ICC registration underway July 22, 2016
- Hebron honors hoop champions July 22, 2016
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- LindaWando390: Valuable article , Speaking of which , if one has ...