• First Baptist Church Houston will host its annual Singing Christmas Tree at 6:30 on Dec. 14 and 15. The music will be performed by Kantangello and the Kidz Praise Choirs. • The Parkway Baptist Sanctuary Choir will perform the Christmas musical/drama, “The Christmas Offering,” at 10:15 a.m, Dec. 15. • Houston First United Methodist Church […]
Tag Archives | church
The following Christmas musicals will be presented at local churches today. The public is urged to attend. – Gospel Hurricane Christmas celebration will be held Dec. 8 at 5 p.m. at Alpha and Omega Transformational Ministries in Houston. – Children’s Choir at Parkway Baptist Church in Houston will perform, “Christmas in Black and White,” Dec. […]
Dec. 4 The United Blood Services bloodmobile will be at Faith Outreach Church in Okolona Dec. 4 from 4:30 to 7 p.m. All blood donations are welcome. Dec. 6 Houston Holiday Bazaar and Fashion Show is set for 6 p.m. Friday, Dec. 6 at the First United Methodist Church Family Life Center on North […]
HOUSTON – It takes a family to make a house a home. Houston Habitat for Humanity is seeking members for its Family Search Committee as they begin the process of building another home in the community. “Getting the right people to join with Habitat is so critical to make the process of work,” said Barbara […]
I turned the corner Friday morning on the way to work and spotted the Golden Eagle on top of the Courthouse Square. It was just a break in the trees and the sun at the perfect angle to give me a new view of something that I had seen dozens of times. But it was […]
HOULKA – Cornbread cooking is serious business in this neck of the woods and there will be competition next week to find out who can cook up the best pan of cornbread Houlka will host the Cornbread Festival starting at 8:30 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 12 on the Square with music, fun and – of course […]
HOUSTON – She is a national recording artist and she hales from Chickasaw County, where she learned her unique style of gospel music in this community. Brenda Whitlock is a popular gospel soloist, and released her latest project “Who Is She” with ten original songs all penned by Brenda The first national radio release “Not […]
by Riley Manning Daily Journal OKOLONA – When members of the First United Methodist Church in Okolona found a broken set of the building’s original windows in the attic, they had little hope of reviving them. But glass worker Wynelle Benson is breathing new life into the dim glass by firing and reshaping them […]
Someone asked me a very touchy question. “How are your tomatoes doing?” I wish I could have said, “Each tomato I pick and slice hangs off every side of a slice of bread.” Rather I said, “Fine. The plants are nice and green and each tomato I pick is a least as big as tennis […]
Anyone who has grown up in the sultry South knows this time of year. It’s those hot, humid, not-a-hint-of-breeze, lazy days of summer. The summer work frenzy is over, we’ve taken our vacation and it’s just too hot to start any major new projects. The fish don’t bite, it’s not the season to hunt, a […]
PRAIRIE – Mary Thompson, 66, died Sunday, July 21. 2013, at Clay County Medical Center in West Point. She was a member of New Hope M.B. Church in Okolona, She served as a Sunday school teacher, Usher Board member and Missionary Board member. Services will be at 1 p.m. Saturday, July 27, at New Hope […]
All of us have watched with interest the legal wranglings of the George Zimmerman trial and a little closer to home the latest filings of our very own Attorney General Jim Hood concerning Mississippi’s new open-carry law. As a hunter, reporter, husband, father and red-blooded American, I have to say I am a little concerned […]
HOUSTON – More than 200 sisters gathered in Our Lady of Angels Chapel in Aston, Pennsylvania, to share in the jubilee celebration for the 23 members of theSisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia . Houston’s Sister Patricia Hinton was one of those honored Sunday, June 9 and celebrating 50, 70, and 75 years of religious […]
Sara and I celebrated our Silver Wedding Anniversary on Tuesday. That may not seem like much to the Golden Anniversary crowd but we are sort of proud of our 25-year mark. We went out to eat and there was a gift. Marriage and age have changed us, but she is still the most special human […]
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Nabors named top home improvement store in state July 18, 2016
- ICC registration underway July 22, 2016
- Homegrown and Houston proud July 23, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Real men rise above the status quo July 23, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Scott, Hardin honored by ICC July 24, 2016
- Walker takes second at Pros of Tomorrow July 24, 2016
- Culinary arts teacher opens up new world for students July 24, 2016
- Getting a good start at school July 24, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...