Luke 1:64 (KJV) “And his mouth was opened immediately, and his tongue loosed, and he spake, and praised God.” During the course of a day, most people have a long list of things to do. That list can range from cooking to working, from dropping the kids off at school to running errands, from ironing to […]
Tag Archives | church
• First Baptist Church Houston will host its annual Singing Christmas Tree at 6:30 on Dec. 14 and 15. The music will be performed by Kantangello and the Kidz Praise Choirs. • The Parkway Baptist Sanctuary Choir will perform the Christmas musical/drama, “The Christmas Offering,” at 10:15 a.m, Dec. 15. • Houston First United Methodist Church […]
The following Christmas musicals will be presented at local churches today. The public is urged to attend. – Gospel Hurricane Christmas celebration will be held Dec. 8 at 5 p.m. at Alpha and Omega Transformational Ministries in Houston. – Children’s Choir at Parkway Baptist Church in Houston will perform, “Christmas in Black and White,” Dec. […]
Dec. 4 The United Blood Services bloodmobile will be at Faith Outreach Church in Okolona Dec. 4 from 4:30 to 7 p.m. All blood donations are welcome. Dec. 6 Houston Holiday Bazaar and Fashion Show is set for 6 p.m. Friday, Dec. 6 at the First United Methodist Church Family Life Center on North […]
HOUSTON – It takes a family to make a house a home. Houston Habitat for Humanity is seeking members for its Family Search Committee as they begin the process of building another home in the community. “Getting the right people to join with Habitat is so critical to make the process of work,” said Barbara […]
I turned the corner Friday morning on the way to work and spotted the Golden Eagle on top of the Courthouse Square. It was just a break in the trees and the sun at the perfect angle to give me a new view of something that I had seen dozens of times. But it was […]
HOULKA – Cornbread cooking is serious business in this neck of the woods and there will be competition next week to find out who can cook up the best pan of cornbread Houlka will host the Cornbread Festival starting at 8:30 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 12 on the Square with music, fun and – of course […]
HOUSTON – She is a national recording artist and she hales from Chickasaw County, where she learned her unique style of gospel music in this community. Brenda Whitlock is a popular gospel soloist, and released her latest project “Who Is She” with ten original songs all penned by Brenda The first national radio release “Not […]
by Riley Manning Daily Journal OKOLONA – When members of the First United Methodist Church in Okolona found a broken set of the building’s original windows in the attic, they had little hope of reviving them. But glass worker Wynelle Benson is breathing new life into the dim glass by firing and reshaping them […]
Someone asked me a very touchy question. “How are your tomatoes doing?” I wish I could have said, “Each tomato I pick and slice hangs off every side of a slice of bread.” Rather I said, “Fine. The plants are nice and green and each tomato I pick is a least as big as tennis […]
Anyone who has grown up in the sultry South knows this time of year. It’s those hot, humid, not-a-hint-of-breeze, lazy days of summer. The summer work frenzy is over, we’ve taken our vacation and it’s just too hot to start any major new projects. The fish don’t bite, it’s not the season to hunt, a […]
PRAIRIE – Mary Thompson, 66, died Sunday, July 21. 2013, at Clay County Medical Center in West Point. She was a member of New Hope M.B. Church in Okolona, She served as a Sunday school teacher, Usher Board member and Missionary Board member. Services will be at 1 p.m. Saturday, July 27, at New Hope […]
All of us have watched with interest the legal wranglings of the George Zimmerman trial and a little closer to home the latest filings of our very own Attorney General Jim Hood concerning Mississippi’s new open-carry law. As a hunter, reporter, husband, father and red-blooded American, I have to say I am a little concerned […]
HOUSTON – More than 200 sisters gathered in Our Lady of Angels Chapel in Aston, Pennsylvania, to share in the jubilee celebration for the 23 members of theSisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia . Houston’s Sister Patricia Hinton was one of those honored Sunday, June 9 and celebrating 50, 70, and 75 years of religious […]
- MHSAA reclassifications announced November 28, 2016
- Students chosen for Who’s Who at ICC December 2, 2016
- Dr. Willis named AAN Fellow December 2, 2016
- Hunter orange strictly enforced December 2, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Religion, politics and my wife’s birthday December 3, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Are schools worth fighting for? December 4, 2016
- Locals named ICC Foundation scholars December 4, 2016
- DAVID HORN: We the people have voted for change December 4, 2016
- REV. DARRICK WHITFIELD: How to be wise December 4, 2016
- Turman, Archer inducted to Phi Kappa Phi December 3, 2016
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...