By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Northeast Mississippi local governments garnered about $3 million in projects in a $249.6 million bond bill that passed both chambers of the state Legislature late Monday. Bond proceeds will be used to pay off the project over a period of years. The projects range from tourism-related […]
Tag Archives | community center
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Chickasaw County Supervisors were informed of the City of Okolona’s plans to seek federal funding for a massive storm shelter that will double as a civic center at this month’s meeting. Chickasaw County Emergency Management Director Linda Griffin was before the board on other business when […]
Most of us have probably “run afoul of the law” and been given a citation that we were required to pay or hauled into court and justice served with a more hefty fee and fine. The good folks of this world, admit their blunder, promise the judge they will be more careful and pay their […]
HOUSTON – There will be no massive city-wide street paving projects in Houston this summer, but aldermen are looking at how best to spend dollars in their wards this year. The summer construction season coincides with the wrapping up of the city budget in August with the city looking at projects to start that would […]
HOULKA – Overcrowded lots and loitering around town during the early hours of the morning were addressed by the Houlka Board of Aldermen at their Feb. 4 meeting. The board approved an ordinance to limit the number of residences that may be allowed on one city lot. An average lot is deemed to be approximately […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – Hannah Warren isn’t cold or hungry, but she is concerned about her neighbors around Chickasaw County who might be. The 19-year-old mother and college student said just because we don’t see people out begging on our local streets doesn’t mean there aren’t people in need. “I was in my Philosophy class,” Warren […]
HOULKA – Hundreds will be fed Thanksgiving and hundreds of gifts will be sold for Christmas at two closely linked events in Houlka this holiday season. The Houlka Community Thanksgiving will see more than 500 meals prepared for needy families, the elderly, county inmates and law enforcement officers on Thanksgiving Day. This will be backed […]
HOULKA – Citizens of Houlka have seen an ongoing paving project become a nuisance but the Houlka Board of Aldermen said the paving company is liable for repairs and will have to fix issues of holes and erosion. Public Works Director, David Ray, said the paving on Oak Lane sank and the company is responsible […]
- Okolona approves tutorial services, signs promissory note October 18, 2016
- WEEK 10: High School Football Previews October 21, 2016
- POLICE ROUNDUP: Charges upgraded following fatal accident October 21, 2016
- What color is homelessness? October 22, 2016
- WEEK 10: High School Football Scores October 22, 2016
- Signs are illegal in rights-of-way October 25, 2016
- Houston seeks to improve attendance October 24, 2016
- BREAST CANCER: Know your foe October 24, 2016
- Find a lump? Find out what it is! October 24, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: The killing of public education October 23, 2016
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...